+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FS: Alphason HR100mcs tonearm

I'm phil.

The Notts Anna is a very good arm, and decca friendly as mentioned
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moodybuilder View Post
    The Notts Anna is a very good arm, and decca friendly as mentioned

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Why don't you try the Alphason arm with the SP10 first before selling?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There's one here for sale (without cable) for £700:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owne...a-ace-tonearm/

And it's 10" long!
    Barry

I'm James.

Also if you are definitely moving onto 10 or 12 inch tonearms have a look at VPI's tasty selection. They are Unipivot and damped and extremely well engineered. USA build quality. They are so easy to set up and adjust once installed.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/tonearms
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Why don't you try the Alphason arm with the SP10 first before selling?
    No can do Jim. I am ready for a change. I am committed to selling.

The VPI arms look very tasty. I like their whole range really, very classy looking kit. I'm looking for to hearing yours!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There's one here for sale (without cable) for £700:

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/pre-owne...a-ace-tonearm/

And it's 10" long!
    It looks a bit of a brute to be honest. Not really sure what I think of it.

I'm Kevin.

You will regret selling it, and it won't be easy to find another one in similar condition.....

Yes, you can try another arm, but will it be as good??? You will not be happy if it isn't.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It looks a bit of a brute to be honest. Not really sure what I think of it.

You won't like it because very few here know the brand well and as I said, it's not a looker! The clever bits are hidden inside and the bits that matter should be as good as anyone elses.

Before I knew better, I 'quite liked' the Alphason arm, but stuck doggedly to the Ittok as it was a known quantity and I spent hours farting around with LP12 belts, mats and fuses (yes really!) to try to get the bloody fruitbox to sound as good as possible. My high opinions of said fruitbox were first blown away by a trip to Linn where I heard first hand how awful the thing actually was in comparison to master recordings (Blue Nile in this instance) and shortly after I got to know and befriend hifi dave of this parish and the weird and wacky stuff he used to sell back then cemented my audio re-awakening, especially where vinyl reproduction is concerned! I KNOW that Linn worked hard to improve the performance of the LP12 with the Cirkus and so on, but what I'm trying to convey is the gulf between so many vinyl playing setups and 'the real thing' that fed the cutter in the first place. The SP10 in suitable plinth has the potential to be one of the finest and most 'inert' record spinners out there and it doesn't need thousands of pounds of 'upgrades' to make it any good. In fact, one person who tried to 'improve it,' returned to the original stock settings and spent time with arm and cartridge choice to tailor it to his needs - and I forget what the arm and cartridge was now. I know you're now set on selling off the Alphason and I wish I could buy it from you to put my money where my gob is, but I'm afraid I can't, so it just has to be typed words on a page.

I hope you enjoy your audio journey. I fear that like so many before you, you'll be buying and selling, often crap gear underneath, and not really knowing about it, only later on you'll think "Why didn't I keep 'xxx' product?" I've been there guv'nor and could weep at the things I sold twenty odd years ago that I can now never replace, one particular turntable immediately comes to mind. Still, you'll need to experience this for yourself and it's my sincere hope that the buyer of said HR100S will enjoy it for the subtle classic it is - and 'we here' keep telling you it is
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You won't like it because very few here know the brand well and as I said, it's not a looker! The clever bits are hidden inside and the bits that matter should be as good as anyone elses.

Before I knew better, I 'quite liked' the Alphason arm, but stuck doggedly to the Ittok as it was a known quantity and I spent hours farting around with LP12 belts, mats and fuses (yes really!) to try to get the bloody fruitbox to sound as good as possible. My high opinions of said fruitbox were first blown away by a trip to Linn where I heard first hand how awful the thing actually was in comparison to master recordings (Blue Nile in this instance) and shortly after I got to know and befriend hifi dave of this parish and the weird and wacky stuff he used to sell back then cemented my audio re-awakening, especially where vinyl reproduction is concerned! I KNOW that Linn worked hard to improve the performance of the LP12 with the Cirkus and so on, but what I'm trying to convey is the gulf between so many vinyl playing setups and 'the real thing' that fed the cutter in the first place. The SP10 in suitable plinth has the potential to be one of the finest and most 'inert' record spinners out there and it doesn't need thousands of pounds of 'upgrades' to make it any good. In fact, one person who tried to 'improve it,' returned to the original stock settings and spent time with arm and cartridge choice to tailor it to his needs - and I forget what the arm and cartridge was now. I know you're now set on selling off the Alphason and I wish I could buy it from you to put my money where my gob is, but I'm afraid I can't, so it just has to be typed words on a page.

I hope you enjoy your audio journey. I fear that like so many before you, you'll be buying and selling, often crap gear underneath, and not really knowing about it, only later on you'll think "Why didn't I keep 'xxx' product?" I've been there guv'nor and could weep at the things I sold twenty odd years ago that I can now never replace, one particular turntable immediately comes to mind. Still, you'll need to experience this for yourself and it's my sincere hope that the buyer of said HR100S will enjoy it for the subtle classic it is - and 'we here' keep telling you it is
    Your a wise fellow and your words don't fall on ignorant ears.

The idea of going on to the next thing hasn't been taken lightly. Truth is I've been quite lucky so far, in that I have been better off for the move every time. It's a bit like "double or nothing"

I am in no doubt of how good the Alphason is, I have one lol.

I'll be straight up with ya, I've had my head turned. I spotted something a little while back and now I want to go and get it, if I can lol.

No details yet. Just a sale thread to generate Funds. You'll all say I'm crazy anyway but, I'd rather be crazy and happy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast