+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Alphason HR100mcs tonearm

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Blimey. You don't hang about Oliver!

Have you considered a parallel tracking arm?
    I haven't Geoff. Any suggestions?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Surpringly in need of a Bump.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I haven't Geoff. Any suggestions?
    Never used one mate, but I have heard them sounding good. There are a few about. Always fancied trying one.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Never used one mate, but I have heard them sounding good. There are a few about. Always fancied trying one.
    I'll give it a look but I am not sure. A break from the norm lol

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The 'Terminator' parallel tracking arms get good reviews.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You're all going to flame me, but here goes...

The Alphason has one of the best arm tubes out there imo and any bearing issues some suffered in the past should have been sorted out under warranty years ago. I feel you're going to have a hell of a job actually bettering this arm, whatever effin' length it is and what I suspect you'll really be doing is juggling one compromise against another.

As a parting shot I'll chuck one more arm into the mix, which isn't as well finished as a SME of any age, but the materials it's made from do seem well thought out and sonics have never been an issue for me at any rate and that's one of the Notts Analogue ones (Ace Anna? - I've lost touch now). As easy to handle as a conventional bearing arm, Decca friendly () and available in different lengths too I believe. They used to be available for conventional mounting...

Why limit yourself with a 12" arm anyway? The tracing error difference is mostly academic I believe and you're not playing 16" acetates are you?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

The Alphason has one of the best arm tubes out there imo and any bearing issues some suffered in the past should have been sorted out under warranty years ago. I feel you're going to have a hell of a job actually bettering this arm, whatever effin' length it is and what I suspect you'll really be doing is juggling one compromise against another.

As a parting shot I'll chuck one more arm into the mix, which isn't as well finished as a SME of any age, but the materials it's made from do seem well thought out and sonics have never been an issue for me at any rate and that's one of the Notts Analogue ones (Ace Anna? - I've lost touch now). As easy to handle as a conventional bearing arm, Decca friendly () and available in different lengths too I believe. They used to be available for conventional mounting...

Why limit yourself with a 12" arm anyway? The tracing error difference is mostly academic I believe and you're not playing 16" acetates are you?
    Well, yes, it's definitely one of the best send out there BUT every component is a compromise. I think you're right in respect of going to have to do well to better it but the aim is always to try new things for me. When an item cements itself in my system then it'll be a keeper.

The length isn't so much an issue as a good excuse to try something else, justification isn't necessary but always helps lol

There is no bearing issue or any issue to worry about with the Alphason. It's in perfect working order. Even the arm lowering device is smooth.

The arm tube is completely unwavering in its rigidity and the whole thing looks very beautiful. Someone should buy it.

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

This, frying pan to fire IMO.

I've heard SP10 with a Terminator, it was FAB, but may as well put a CD on. You went to great lengths choosing the MCS above the 774, trust your ears...

While we're flaming people, I had a 12" Jelco, lasted 2 weeks. While you did notice end of side distortion going back to a Rega geometry arm (Roksan Tabriz) the Jelco was dull and flat in comparison in my system. The only time my mate sat playing on his phone while we had a music session.

Sorry to go off on a sale thread, but the OP had questions, by all accounts the MCS is one of the 80's greats

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    This, frying pan to fire IMO.

I've heard SP10 with a Terminator, it was FAB, but may as well put a CD on. You went to great lengths choosing the MCS above the 774, trust your ears...

While we're flaming people, I had a 12" Jelco, lasted 2 weeks. While you did notice end of side distortion going back to a Rega geometry arm (Roksan Tabriz) the Jelco was dull and flat in comparison in my system. The only time my mate sat playing on his phone while we had a music session.

Sorry to go off on a sale thread, but the OP had questions, by all accounts the MCS is one of the 80's greats
    Don't worry about thread drift, it takes the ad back to the top of the pile hahaha.

Yep, I'll trust them again, it's the only way to pick IMO. I can only buy and try really due to the relatively low budget for the new arm so why not buy/try/move on. I'm glad you mentioned the Jelco, I did have a look but something just doesn't convince me. I have never heard it either which is a bit judgemental.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast