+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital vs. LP

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yeah but you can try Roon free too. :-)
    Already cancelled Tidal. Get 30 days out of it tho. Interface is shockingly poor for a £20 a month service. Sound quality is better although part of that is the output from it is higher than norm. Found spotify's one to be very good with free remote within the app being a big plus, but its way more stable too. Sound quality is not as good but pretty decent for mp3.
    Think I will hold out for Spotify's hifi service. although Ive no idea when it will be online, but it is in beta at moment.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Just to clarify; when I comment on the 'digital' side of things, I mean Red Book CDs only. I've tinkered a bit with hi-res stuff, but not enough to be able to comment usefully on its merits.
    Ive never bothered with hi rez, although I have and still do upscale with jriver as I think its better(i accept i may be kidding myself but Whats the harm)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ive never bothered with hi rez, although I have and still do upscale with jriver as I think its better(i accept i may be kidding myself but Whats the harm)
    I downloaded some hi-res stuff from Linn Records a couple of years back; didn't hear anything so good it made me want to investigate further. Every time I read articles or forum discussions on the subject it makes my head hurt, even when such discussions are preceded by the words 'I'll keep this really simple ...'.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    But capturing the analogue sound in an analogue manner, even when eventually presented digitally can/will sound superb. This is consistent with some vinyl rips I did years ago using Cool Edit Pro (wow that takes me back) which sounded far far better than the remastered cds then available. An example that comes to mind was the Yes album 90125. Chalk and cheese.
    Different mastering = Different sound. Mastering makes a lot more difference than the format, assuming the sources and system are good to begin with. Differences in mastering also account for the supposed superiority of 'high resolution' digital.

But we have been here many times before so I'll shut up now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

But we have been here many times before so I'll shut up now.
    Ah but some of us are just new kids on the block ....

Always read your posts with interest Martin.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Always read your posts with interest Martin.
    Don't worry, it's just a phase and it'll pass
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default The perils of absolutist thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Differences in mastering also account for the supposed superiority of 'high resolution' digital.
    In *some* instances, yes, but in my experience, not always. Remember to take into consideration those 'grey areas' you were pulling Jez up for yesterday!

I'll get back to you later, Edward

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Does Roon provide a streaming service like Spotify and Tidal or is it only a way of just streaming local media?

I was, a few weeks back, gonna give Roon a try but discovered that I would have to give my credit/debit card details upfront and then have to remember to cancel after the initial free period. Not something I like doing so I discussed with Roon. They said I could have an extended trial (but still would have to sign up). So far as I can make out Roon has licencing issues with their metadata providers which prevent them giving trials without the credit/debit card details thing.

Do you find Roon gives better quality sound then other players? I use JRiver but am attracted to the way Roon handles metadata and its displays etc.
    It will stream your local media, but I've found the likes of Tidal not only has a better interface through it, but sounds better too. I used to use Jriver, but find Roon superior.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adam.

Edward, we spoke in a round about way on this when we met recently.
    My vinyl and digital front ends are very fulfilling and
    Hit the spots in many ways, with the right material.
    I have to say if I hadn't been a compulsive jazz record collector for 30 years
    I wouldn't go the vinyl route today if I was starting out from scratch.
    I decided a while ago to invest in my analogue front end to enjoy the fruits of My record collection by purchasing an lp 12 (tin hat at the ready) which
    I have a stupid emotional attachment to and obviously a financial one too now!!
    But with the purchase of a top quality NOS DAC the digital presentation has been a revelation.
    I owe you a return visit so I'll organise a get together soon and
    You can judge for yourself. I think both are imho top notch...
    But I will agree with most in saying it's very much
    Material dependent in both formats digital and analogue.
    I have many duplicate recording on both formats so comparisons are doable..
    You can't polish a turd no matter which format it's presented in!
    But when it's right, oh my, they are both so sweet!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm James.

Using the same downstream components will highlight the differences between vinyl and digital for sure but if care is taken in selection of equipment the differences can be lessened. It all depends on how good you want your vinyl and digital to be, how much money you have to fund equipment and what sound you are looking for.

Trying to get them to sound very similar will be difficult and time consuming and maybe expensive. I personally would concentrate on getting a vinyl system you enjoy listening too sorted and then put together a digital system you feel satisfies your listening pleasure. I would not fuss too much on trying to get them exactly the same because you won't. Digital and vinyl inherently sound different, each having their own strengths and I would concentrate on these and enjoy them.

You will also find a digital version of an LP release may sound very different and therefore trying to match systems is even more difficult because amongst other things the mastering for each medium can be very different.

If you are going down the digital route I would forget CD. File based digital audio is really the only realistic close alternative to LPs. There are some fairly cheap options out there to do this but again the more money you throw at it the more musical satisfaction you can get. In my experience vinyl LPs do this easily. Digital is a bit more tricky.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast