+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Digital vs. LP

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I had a Moon player, very good it was. It was spanked by a Teac P30 I bought after though. Should've kept that..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Do you think he'd be up for me bringing the Sonys along to his place, to compare with the DAVE, and then reporting the results on AoS? If he'd be up for that, I certainly would be!

If he's truly got confidence in his product, and it's as good as you say it is, he should welcome subjecting it to such scrutiny

Marco.
    I will ask about the connection issue. He runs only balanced XLR with DAVE but will ask if your CDP can be hooked up to it.

Of course if Steve won't do it maybe ask Hi FI Lounge - I am sure he has a DAVE DAC?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm John.

For me, personally, no matter how good a turntable may sound it completely ruins my enjoyment changing sides on an LP. In fact it had got to the stage where I would be thinking of changing it while I was listening to a side, a real pain. I like to sit down, recline and zone out for 30 or 40 minutes which I can do with CD.

Also, as much as I liked my turntable my CD player trounced it which helped in the decision to get rid of the TT.

One thing I do like about LPs is that you've no inclination to skip tracks so you listen to the entire album as a whole rather than skipping the odd one. Try leaving your CD remote control in a different room, surprisingly effective

I'm Mike.

Default Digital vs. LP

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    For me, personally, no matter how good a turntable may sound it completely ruins my enjoyment changing sides on an LP. In fact it had got to the stage where I would be thinking of changing it while I was listening to a side, a real pain. I like to sit down, recline and zone out for 30 or 40 minutes which I can do with CD.

Also, as much as I liked my turntable my CD player trounced it which helped in the decision to get rid of the TT.

One thing I do like about LPs is that you've no inclination to skip tracks so you listen to the entire album as a whole rather than skipping the odd one. Try leaving your CD remote control in a different room, surprisingly effective
    Are there many 30 or 40 minute cd albums about? I always think most cds have quite a few 'filler' tracks just to get them to near 80 mins. I have digital and vinyl but for me the sound of vinyl is what I grew up with so no doubt that is why I prefer it. I like the hands on of vinyl and no doubt that's an age thing too.

Your tip about the cd remote is a good one

Looking at someone's music collection you can tell probably their age from it, I think it's similar with digital vs analogue ( but not always of course ).

Only time I do any 'skipping' is with the radio and that's so I cut out the ads and the news

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I had a Moon player, very good it was. It was spanked by a Teac P30 I bought after though. Should've kept that..
    I think you had a Moon Nova, if I recall right. Nice but I would have suspected the Teac would be better.

I wanted a best I could afford player at the time so listened to top Wadias and the like at the time and the two box Andromeda did everything I wanted but did it in a nice musical way. Wadias are fab, but dissect the music a wee bit too much for my ultimate taste.

The Esoteric kit I have I use for SACD, again I wanted the best I could afford and those are very good bar the noisy transport, less noise though than the Esoteric P3 transport, stunning but one could hear its mech half way across the room, particularly when playing SACDs. Don't know why it is but most modernish Esoterics have noisy mechanisms.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I will ask about the connection issue. He runs only balanced XLR with DAVE but will ask if your CDP can be hooked up to it.

Of course if Steve won't do it maybe ask Hi FI Lounge - I am sure he has a DAVE DAC?
    Hi James looked at a picture of the back and it looks like it has a Coax digital in so shouldn't be an issue, there are though BNCs too, so if Marco had a BNC to RCA adapter that might be useful.

Will be an interesting comparison.

EDIT Marco will need a BNC to RCA adapter. The RCA I was looking at was the right channel RCA output One of these https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-BNC-Ma.../dp/B000V1R97U
    Regards Neil

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi James looked at a picture of the back and it looks like it has a Coax digital in so shouldn't be an issue, there are though BNCs too, so if Marco had a BNC to RCA adapter that might be useful.

Will be an interesting comparison.

EDIT Marco will need a BNC to RCA adapter. The RCA I was looking at was the right channel RCA output
    Thanks for checking Neil.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

I've got a box full of different adapters if one is need at any time

BNC, N type, SMA, F plugs (horrible things), RCA, Belling Lee plus others.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I think you had a Moon Nova, if I recall right. Nice but I would have suspected the Teac would be better.

I wanted a best I could afford player at the time so listened to top Wadias and the like at the time and the two box Andromeda did everything I wanted but did it in a nice musical way. Wadias are fab, but dissect the music a wee bit too much for my ultimate taste.

The Esoteric kit I have I use for SACD, again I wanted the best I could afford and those are very good bar the noisy transport, less noise though than the Esoteric P3 transport, stunning but one could hear its mech half way across the room, particularly when playing SACDs. Don't know why it is but most modernish Esoterics have noisy mechanisms.
    Yes I think that's right Neil, my memory is not getting any better..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Been pondering this. Of course I've heard well set up digital systems as well as vinyl systems - both of which can sound incredible.

However what I have not experienced is a well set up digital source within the same system of a well set up vinyl source. That is using the same downstream items (preamp, amp, speakers).

Does anyone have such a system and if so what opinions of the resultant sounds?

Edward

Sent via Tapatalk
    I think I have commensurably similar digital and analogue front ends feeding my back end stereo. I've spent a lot of time tweaking my digital front end to make it approximate the warm and relaxed sound that a good analogue does, and I think I've largely succeeded.

When I compare my digital to analogue playback, the digital sounds much cleaner than the analogue. Almost clinically clean, and the presentation is neat and effortless. The analogue, on the other hand, sounds dirtier, messier, with some garlic on top. But it's definitely isn't lifeless -- it adds a lot of whomp and kick to the music. Simply put, on my system analogue swings much harder than digital.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast