+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Sony Esprit - unused clearing my fathers house

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But it could be done as those resources exist and are not scarce.
    There would no doubt be a demand for surrounds for these speakers. So you can bet your life no surround mould exists. If it did we'd be seeing replacement surrounds for sale for what is a vintage classic design. Having a steel mould machined would cost thousands.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    If you sell ebay to Germany ship with the global ebay post programme, then any f-ups are ebays issue. Ebay is perfectly safe if you stick to buyers with a 100% record. if something smells fishy with a buyer it usually is.
    Hi just did a check on the ebay global shipping program and just for info their specs are

'The item must weigh no more than 30kg and be no larger than 125,000 cm³, and no longer than 120cm on the longest side. It should be worth no more than £2,000, except if you’re posting Russia, in which case it should be worth no more than £800'.

Regards

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There would no doubt be a demand for surrounds for these speakers. So you can bet your life no surround mould exists. If it did we'd be seeing replacement surrounds for sale for what is a vintage classic design. Having a steel mould machined would cost thousands.
    From what I have seen on the internet when the foam was found to be disintegrating most owners / studios threw them away when they found no replacement parts were available. As mentioned there is a chap on ebay US based in Russia who can supply the smaller ones but can't get anything for the APM6 and again as it appears the speaker waffle also contains similar foam that would need reinstalling / replacement also for a total repair so even if possible would be a considerable cost.
    Regards
    Mike

I'm Mike.

Default Sony #Esprit

Hi everyone - thanks again for the advice and interest shown.

I just wonder what might be best to do - connect it all up switch on and see if it works or find an economical tester that can check the four units over before pressing the on switch! Then either way if I decide to sell I can either say in working condition or fully tested etc. Cost of testing might be a problem for me as only on government pension and things are a bit stretched to say the least I live in South London if recommending a tester.

Appreciate your thoughts

Cheers

Mike

I'm inthescottishmafia.

John Caswell is in Wokingham, you can contact him via the World-Designs forum.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    John Caswell is in Wokingham, you can contact him via the World-Designs forum.
    Cheers appreciate that contact not too bad a journey from Woolwich thanks

I'm Mike.

Default Sony Esprit

Hi everyone just to say thanks again for all your advice much apprciated.

I've spoken to John - nice chap - and will be arranging to go and see him sometime during the next month for everything to be checked over. He feels that as nothing has been used and being as it is Sony Esprit there probably won't be any problems at all so will post back hear when we know the answer.

I've just had an idea re the speakers as to whether the following might work.

Centre the speaker for in and out movement then get some rubber tubing maybe from a car spares shop around the size of the original foam cross section - run that around the metal speaker outside edge frame then attach and seal using a strong duck tape. Wonder if that might just might do as a temporary repair. Guess the tape wouldn't last that long but you never know and if it did well behind the speaker fret covers who would know - or care!

Regards

Mike

I'm Simon.

No. Don't touch the speakers. Shagged foam is far better than bodged and shagged.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    No. Don't touch the speakers. Shagged foam is far better than bodged and shagged.
    Well actually very little left of the foam mainly just dust!

Cheers

I'm Martin.

Still, don't bodge them. Someone who knows what these are will take them as is and sort them out, You won't get as much for them as you would if they were minty mint. But there it is. Any bodging them will only reduce the value.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast