+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Esprit - unused clearing my fathers house

I'm Mike.

Default Sony Esprit - unused clearing my fathers house

Hi everyone hope you can help me out - I am sorting out my fathers house and he owned a complete set of Sony Esprit equipment which I am thinking of selling due to it's size. Now the thing is none of it has ever been out of the boxes due to health work and home problems since it was purchased - so all of it is as new. I have no idea how much this should be sold for and wonder if members could give me some guidance. Once I have an idea of it's worth I will have a think as to whether to sell or not and if I do want to go ahead then I will advertise here as I have heard some horror stories of the main auction site and don't want to end up scammed. I would only sell to someone based in the UK and collection would be required from South Woolwich. Any guidance you might also give on best method to accept payment would also be appreciated.

So the equipment is:-
    Sony Esprit Pre-amp TA-E900
    Sony Esprit Equaliser SE-P900
    Sony Esprit mono amps (2) TA-N900

I do understand that the Equaliser is pretty rare in the world so will be interesting to see what the members think of total value.
    If I were to sell I would wish to sell as a complete lot rather than selling in separate pieces. I have the original invoice for the Pre amp and 2 monoblocks purchased in 1985.
    There are also 2 unused and boxed APM 6 speakers but unfortunately the dreaded foam rust has occurred so i gather these would be pretty worthless? All items have there original packing/transport boxes.
    There is also again never unboxed or used an Ortofon MC 2000 purchased in 1987 and I have the original receipt for that as well

I'm Martin.

Not just the equaliser that is rare, it is all rare especially in as new boxed condition. The speakers can be repaired and will still be worth a few bob even with disintegrating surrounds. Hard to quote a value though as this kit comes up so rarely there isn't really a market price but you are certainly into 4 figures for each component.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

n 900's are good amps. think they are mosfet with a freon filled heatpipe, which is a refrigerant. i gave my esprit turntable to my mate for him helping me out. they are excellent. price? no idea as not seen them sold although they were not overly rare. would imagine the pre will be decent too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

some info on the equalizer...

Sony SE-P900

The most elusive ESPRIT unit but arguably, undisputedly, the best analog parametric EQ ever produced - by anyone.

Absolutely transparent, the SE-P900 does its job without ruining the basics of the signal it is fed with :

”The initial stage is a junction J-FET cascade connection differential amp with constant current source. It reduces the high range distortion resulting from non-linearity in the J-FET feedback capacity, because of the high input impedance and the cascade connection. The J-FET uses a dual cascade connection with excellent pair response to suppress temperature drift.

The second stage is a Miller current loaded differential amp composed of bipolar transistors, which provides high linearity response and power rejection response.

The final stage is a pure complementary emitter-follower SEPP output which provides low impedance output and high linearity response.
    The buffer unit circuit allows 100% NF, and is employed as gain 1 (during DEFEAT in the equalizer stage) so there is almost no deterioration in sound quality.

Unlike any other ESPRIT unit sold, the SE-P900 was unfortunately extremely rare, even more so than the TA-E and TA-N900 ESPRIT - good things are never common.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

specs on the amps

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Absolutely transparent, the SE-P900 does its job without ruining the basics of the signal it is fed with :

Christ, Marco won't let that lie.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm graham.

Sony TA-E900

Sealed and potted modules, dual-mono structure, super-select componentry, 99,99% pure copper wiring, non-magnetic chassis, deported ZP-1 Perfect Balancer ALPS pots, magnetically shielded MM/MC Phono section and a finish quality to die for, the TA-E900 was perhaps the finest preamplifier ever built by Sony.

The TA-E900's specs, as Masaru Nagami's motto "only better sound matters" came in line here where the actual specs, as delivered with each ESPRIT component, all far exceeded those quoted within its manuals and catalogs.

As an indication of its extremely high build quality the 1989 Sony Esprit TA E900 Preamp had an MSRP of $3,500!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post

As an indication of its extremely high build quality the 1989 Sony Esprit TA E900 Preamp had an MSRP of $3,500!
    if you allow for inflation that is about £7.5K in today's money. Which is quite reasonably priced compared to 2017's high-end active pre-amps.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

I reckon they will have to be tested etc first to get the value from them. if they have been sitting unused for 25/30 years. probably safer to run up to full on a variac, although I'm fairly sure they will be fine
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

Personally I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole.... You know all those fancy devices for audio use? that are much better than anything available today but made from pure unobtainium? and which I keep banging on about and no one gives a toss but me? Well they will be full of 'em. Add potted modules for real fun.

The extra value people assign to something based not on what is inside but purely on what it says on the name badge really pisses me off personally as well but that's fairly irrelevant (ie take two top quality identical watches and add the word "Rolex" to one and it's worth £10k apparently.. whilst the other identical one with an unknown brand on it is worth say £200) Ahhhh... rant over... that's better
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast