+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Sweat & Tears 2 LPs sound different

I'm Alex.

Default Blood Sweat & Tears 2 LPs sound different

I have 2 pressings of the Blood Sweat & Tears second LP. Both LPs have the exact same code on the deadwax part (the 'runout'): XSM137879-1A. So the 2 LPs should be pretty much the same product, cut from the same master etc. (at least that's my layman's understanding)

However, the sound is different on one LP than it is on the other one. It's kind of hard to precisely describe the difference, but I'll try anyway: one LP sounds a bit 'sour', while the other one contains somewhat 'sweeter' sound. For instance, on the sweeter LP the brass is warmer, and the bass is somewhat more muscular.

I must say I find this confusing and difficult to reason about. How can such differences exist? Or am I merely imagining those differences?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You're not imagining it.
    You could have one pressing from an early generation stamper, and one from a later generation stamper.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Simon.

The A1 designation on the run out indicates the stamper that was in use, A1 in this case, we'd expect to be the very first mother and stamper.

So they 'should' sound identical if they are both brand new and just out of the wrapper. Should, doesn't mean they will, there could be a whole plethora of reasons why not. One could have been stored over temperature, one could have been stamped just before they found a fault in the steam line at the press.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Chris.

The runout number does contaion the stamper number, but way back they would change the stampers after so many pressings because the stampers would start showing signs of wear. If they are not changing stampers after so many have been pressed ( exact figures on this not known ) then yes you can get deterioration in pressings.

If one of your copies is early from that stamper and one is somewhat later then yes you may well hear the difference even more so on todays equipment then
    what we had way back.

Only answer I have.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You're not imagining it.
    You could have one pressing from an early generation stamper, and one from a later generation stamper.
    OK, good to know I'm not going bonkers, thanks

Amazing how a better sounding LP gives you that indescribable feeling of relaxed sound. The other one sounds strident and very tense in comparison. Meaning, you can crank up a good stamper and it still won't hurt your ears nor will it sound unpleasant. But the lesser stamper sounds unpleasant even at moderate listening levels.

I'm amazed that you can get such results simply from a little bit of a difference in stampers.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    OK, good to know I'm not going bonkers, thanks

Amazing how a better sounding LP gives you that indescribable feeling of relaxed sound. The other one sounds strident and very tense in comparison. Meaning, you can crank up a good stamper and it still won't hurt your ears nor will it sound unpleasant. But the lesser stamper sounds unpleasant even at moderate listening levels.

I'm amazed that you can get such results simply from a little bit of a difference in stampers.
    This is one of the reasons I have grown disenchanted with vinyl. So many variables, so many inconsistencies, so much to adjust and tweak, so many problems that nothing can be done about. It pisses me off because done well, and when the stars are all in alignment it is still the most involving listening experience you can get.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is one of the reasons I have grown disenchanted with vinyl. So many variables, so many inconsistencies, so much to adjust and tweak, so many problems that nothing can be done about. It pisses me off because done well, and when the stars are all in alignment it is still the most involving listening experience you can get.
    Funny, those are some of the reasons I got disenchanted with digital. So many variables in digital, so many inconsistencies, etc. etc. Always hunting for that elusive digital remaster that would finally approach the whomp of the original LP. Ending up with umpteen versions of the same album, some in 16/44 rez, some in 24/96 rez, some flat transfers, come brick walled to Valhalla, some doctored with, some not. Just tired of the endless hunt for that elusive quality.

Those variations seem much smaller in the vinyl world. Yes, different stampers give you different listening experience (as in this case with 2 Blood Sweat & Tears stampers), but the differences are never as glaring as they tend to be between different digital masterings.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread