+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Justin.

Well not everyone's priority is the sort of speed and dynamics the little AE1s could muster. At the expense of sounding rough in certain situations.

I'd probably use an amp with some notably obvious transient capability with any Harbeth to wake them up but that is just me. They are a bit too laid back and slow for me. But they can sound very pleasant indeed.

That said I am thinking of the larger models and it does sound like the P3ESR doesn't suffer so much in this area.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Excellent speaker - a friend of mine had a pair and then "upgraded" to larger Harbeths.
    imho, the P3ESR is the best sounding Harbeth speaker - and I've heard quite a few including the biggies.
    Imaging - OMG, the imaging. Stunning.
    Capable of surprisingly deep and controlled bass, as well.
    They are the only Harbeths I have heard that I would probably be happy to live with for a while.
    Agreed!

Work brilliantly in your typical 13 foot square UK room.
    Last edited by petrat; 11-09-2017 at 07:12.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The thing about most Harbeths is that they're designed to be well away from walls and floors if at all possible. Failure to do this can result in boomy bass which masques the mids and delightful hf, the latter in the P3ESR excelling on brushed cymbals for example.

Shane, it's VERY easy to get Harbeths to sound lack-lustre and bland, but good supplying UK dealers, of which there are a few now up and down the UK, usually make good recommendations as to suitable equipment with the right subjective spec for the job. It's when these speakers enter the used market that problems occur as all manner of crap can e used with them with equally crap end results, the speakers often getting the blame for reproducing faults further back - and this isn't just Harbeths either!!!!!
    Mmm, not really true of the latest P3ESR ime. They are sealed box, solid cabinets ... not the 'sing-along' flexi cabinets of previous models ... and worked perfectly really quite close to walls in my room. I even tried them as bookshelf speakers, and was pleasantly surprised, although they lost some of their spectacular soundstaging capability. As mentioned above, they are best on slightly higher than normal stands (although that depends on the height of your chair, I suppose). I used 60 cm ones.

I also found them to be nicely dynamic, and not noticeably lack-lustre, with a range of amps, including: a 15 watt class A Marantz; a 28 watt push-pull valve amp; and a Naim Nait 5si. However, in the past I have found other Harbeth models to be as Dave describes ... just not this one

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Agreed!

Work brilliantly in your typical 13 foot square UK room.

It seems we don't disagree on everything, Peter!

I'm Dave.

I sell loadsa Harbeth speakers. Most of these are used in typically small UK rooms and all but the M40.2 can just be plonked down and will work properly, without tearing your hair out over position. Even the M40.2 will perform as designed in a medium sized room. All the models are designed by Alan Shaw in a 10ft square room, deliberately chosen so that he can design out any small room problems.

Another thing with Harbeth is that they don't need expensive or powerful amps to sound good. I regularly sell them with Rega Brio amps and Croft Integrated, which sound excellent at minimal cost. I have also sold several pairs of the P3ESR with Quad VA-One, 18 wpc valve amp for a very sweet and involving sound.

Having installed Harbeth speakers in numerous rooms, I can say that they are as plonk n play as it's possible to get with any speaker.

I'm Ian.

Mine are on the 'wrong' stands (600mm tall solid oak sections as opposed to open frame) and placed the 'wrong' distance from the rear wall (very close at 7cm) and sound sublime.

I'm Steven.

I've bought P3ESR, SHL5+ and SHL5+ LE from Dave and they are a final destination speaker. The P3s with a sub can fill a sizeable room, even without the sub they are astonishing. Shove 200w up the SHL5+ and they gain dynamics and punch. Get a new pair from Dave, he'll sort you out. Second hand colour-specific are rare.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Having installed Harbeth speakers in numerous rooms, I can say that they are as plonk n play as it's possible to get with any speaker.
    As a past customer who purchased a pair of SHL5s from HiFi Dave I concur 100%. I paired them with a Brio R and used them in two very different rooms and they just worked. Sadly I had to let them go for a move overseas, but when I'm settled again I shall be getting Harbeth again - never heard or owned a pair of speakers I wanted to listen to so much. For me there's nowt to touch the Harbeth sound.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Mine are on the 'wrong' stands (600mm tall solid oak sections as opposed to open frame) and placed the 'wrong' distance from the rear wall (very close at 7cm) and sound sublime.
    Mine on oak stands as well. Tested varying wall distance with REW and made no difference at all.
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Dave.

Thanks for the votes of confidence lads..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast