+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80s Synth Pop !

I'm Jez.

I really like Laura Marling!

IMHO music was much better in the early eighties. There was a time between '79 and '82 when most of the best electro and lots of other good stuff to boot came out. The rot set in between the mid '80's and 90 with S.A.W followed by all that techno shite and rap. It seems today that the most popular stuff is the stuff I most hate.... Yes hate. It makes me really angry that such complete shite is made, listened to and gets so much airplay. The likes of this "despacito" that was number 1 for ages... FFS! As if it wasn't bad enough there are now god knows how many clone songs out! At least it has some tune though but for the ultimate in complete shite I give you the latest songs from Taylor Swift and Rihanna...

I'm increasingly convinced that these days it literally doesn't matter to "the yoof" if there is a credible tune etc at all.... if I'm interpreting things even partly correctly then the "song" is merely a medium for them to express "attitude" via the lyrics and accompanying video, usually of how strong and confident and not gonna be messed with by boyfriend/boss/ etc and often boasts about success, wealth etc if a male artist. It also seems there is an effort to make it 90% rhythm and as little tune as possible... a key change would be unthinkable!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shaun.

Jez, absolutely no bloody idea what 'Despacito' is. In fact I don't know the names of any of this X Factor shit or any of its clones.

Yes indeed, some 80's acts were stunning even Soft Cell, and 'Non Stop Erotic Cabaret' is a bloody classic. Throbbing Gristle ? Excellent. Cabaret Voltaire, OMG...! Loved some of this stuff so much and because I just get so passionate about analogue synths I'd love to see a big resurgence. Excitedly I thought I'd found it in Ladytron but alas, no. Of course it could be that I need to check out more of their stuff on Youtube as I only have one LP by them.

The Laura Marling LP I attempted to listen to was 'Short Movie' but I just found it too Americanised especially for an English folk singer. YUKK...!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Jez, absolutely no bloody idea what 'Despacito' is. In fact I don't know the names of any of this X Factor shit or any of its clones.

Yes indeed, some 80's acts were stunning even Soft Cell, and 'Non Stop Erotic Cabaret' is a bloody classic. Throbbing Gristle ? Excellent. Cabaret Voltaire, OMG...! Loved some of this stuff so much and because I just get so passionate about analogue synths I'd love to see a big resurgence. Excitedly I thought I'd found it in Ladytron but alas, no. Of course it could be that I need to check out more of their stuff on Youtube as I only have one LP by them.

The Laura Marling LP I attempted to listen to was 'Short Movie' but I just found it too Americanised especially for an English folk singer. YUKK...!
    Marling did go through a mock yank phase yes... try her latest album

I was just looking at some old ETI mags the other day and found all the issues on the Transcendent 2000 synth!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. My hazy recollection of music in the eighties is one of some pretty grim stuff being around. Probably just as bad or worse now.
    Being an old fart I cannot help but marvel at the masterpieces produced in the early '80s. Albums like "Flat Earth" by Thomas Dolby or "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood sound very good on my turntable today. Even Sade from that period ("Diamond Life") sounds awesome!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

The Frankie Goes to Hollywood releases were extremely good sounding. I regard the 'Two tribes' 12" single as a sort of reference. It really is superb, with tremendous dynamic range.

Art of Noise were pretty damn good too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12