+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80s Synth Pop !

I'm Shaun.

Default 80s Synth Pop !

Depeche Mode Speak and Spell by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Depeche Mode 'Speak and Spell'
    I haven't heard this album for around thirty years and I had forgotten just how bad it was.
    Bought this on vinyl a month or so back because 180gm vinyl offers such superior audio sound quality.
    No, truly, I did

Depeche Mode Spirit by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Now compare that to this...!

Or even this...?

John Foxx Metamatic by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

I'm Jez.

I love speak and spell! Also still have metamatic on vinyl.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I love speak and spell! Also still have metamatic on vinyl.
    Jez, mine are reissues not originals. I went through that silly phase in 1983, you know, got rid of the lot because CD was so superior.

I'm Ian.

Metamatic is a very interesting album and very much of it's time. Why Mr Foxx wrote a song about " Underpants " I don't know......
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Jez.

What do folks reckon to "The Garden" by Foxx? Another one I bought new at the time... being a bit of a new romantic back then

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    What do folks reckon to "The Garden" by Foxx? Another one I bought new at the time... being a bit of a new romantic back then
    Never heard of them. But there again, I'm older than you young fellers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Never heard of them. But there again, I'm older than you young fellers.
    ...That's John Foxx... Get with the program grandad! He's real trendy man!.... oh wait... all of that was about 1982

I'm Shaun.

I remember back then around '82, of the folk I used to hang around with, the alternatives were into John Foxx but the mainstream were into Gary Numan. A few years later I got back into playing synths but sadly almost everything had gone digital and I don't get much pleasure making music by parameters. Amazingly though everything has now gone back to playing with knobs even virtual analogue synths. And of course the whole TR909 and TB303 thing has gone retro.
    I don't have many fond memories of 80's music though I'm afraid.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I don't have many fond memories of 80's music though I'm afraid.
    Yes. My hazy recollection of music in the eighties is one of some pretty grim stuff being around. Probably just as bad or worse now.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. My hazy recollection of music in the eighties is one of some pretty grim stuff being around. Probably just as bad or worse now.
    Yes Geoff but I reckon as we are now some thirty years or more older we are no longer interested in the mainstream and so that bloody awful aspect of music is of no consequence anymore. However, in saying that, yesterday I listened to part of an LP by Laura Marling who I guess is not mainstream and it was bloody awful. I got part way through side one and that was enough. Each to their own though of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast