+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Analogue - Yes or No ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I get continuously emailed about new vinyl releases from the likes of Cherry Red and Rough Trade. I never struggle to find new music on vinyl.
    Probably because, if you're really honest, you generally like the one (main) type of music and your tastes have broadly remained the same for years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's been my experience any time you've submitted 'needle drops', or when we've chatted and you showed me the record collection you have at home.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does rather make it easier to be either vinyl or CD-only

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...and that's the problem when your vinyl source vastly outperforms your CD source: you neglect listening to all the music you have on the latter, in your case 25-years worth of the stuff!

I just couldn't do that, Jim, which is why I insist that all my sources sound equally as good, hence are equally as enjoyable to listen to. Consequently, I play CDs I've had for over 20 years just as much as I play records I've bought last month
    When I went back to vinyl I actually bought very little music I had on CD and don't actually miss much of it, instead I sought out new music and moved on. As I have grown older I find my tastes have changed a lot and it has been both exciting and invigorating finding new stuff to listen too. I would not replace much of the stuff I have on CD with vinyl now apart from a few classical albums.

Ultimately I only have so much time to listen too music and I have more than enough on vinyl to satisfy my requirements. I look back at my CD collection, much of which I did not play anyway and do not miss any of them. The music I have found on vinyl has been far more satisfying to listen too.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

Default Analogue - Yes or No ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Probably because, if you're really honest, you generally like the one (main) type of music and your tastes have broadly remained the same for years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's been my experience any time you've submitted 'needle drops', or when we've chatted and you showed me the record collection you have at home.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does rather make it easier to be either vinyl or CD-only

Marco.
    Yeah, you are entirely wrong in fact. Look at the artists that the record companies I mentioned represent.

The last needle-drop I posted was years ago and I've never pictured my record collection.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 03-09-2017 at 21:42.
    Account Deleted

No, but you showed it to me when I was round at your place (there's a pile of albums just as you come in the door of your room upstairs, on the right hand side, if I recall correctly). Anyway, I accept what you're saying

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    When I went back to vinyl I actually bought very little music I had on CD and don't actually miss much of it, instead I sought out new music and moved on. As I have grown older I find my tastes have changed a lot and it has been both exciting and invigorating finding new stuff to listen too. I would not replace much of the stuff I have on CD with vinyl now apart from a few classical albums.
    Yup, I totally get that. I'm different in that I still love all the 80s music from my youth, so often listen to that on CD (and vinyl), as well as all the new stuff I've got into recently.

Ultimately I only have so much time to listen too music and I have more than enough on vinyl to satisfy my requirements. I look back at my CD collection, much of which I did not play anyway and do not miss any of them. The music I have found on vinyl has been far more satisfying to listen too
    That's fair enough, mate. I work from home, so spend hours listening to music everyday, and I have quite diverse tastes, so can go from one minute listening to classical music or jazz, to 80s music, then rock or electronica, and all sorts in between. It just depends on my mood!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, that was ****ing selfish.
    Maybe, but the person/people concerned did feel the need to move on - and it's done now, anyway. I think quite a few people get into that state, and they have other priorities, and need to look after their own and their family's well being.
    Dave

I'm gone.

Yes, I shouldn't be judgemental.
    But those LPs are probably now landfill, which is a shame.
    And a good charitable cause has lost out.
    Double whammy.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Maybe, but the person/people concerned did feel the need to move on - and it's done now, anyway. I think quite a few people get into that state, and they have other priorities, and need to look after their own and their family's well being.
    That's the danger of turning any hobby into an unhealthy obsession. Sadly, some folks are wired that way!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Shaun I think both have their place. I never felt the need to dump my vinyl when I embraced CD, mainly for the lack of surface noise and I am glad I didn't because my vinyl playback gear is so good now that surface noise isn't as massive an issue, as it was once. Its there, but so low down that it doesn't bother me now.

I still enjoy CD, and SACD but vinyl to my ear, in my set up is better.

So I would say yes, keep them and if your mood changes you have them still to listen to. Get rid and they are gone forever.
    Regards Neil

I'm Russell.

Keep all your vinyl, and after you die your children can sell them on eBay to help plant you in the ground! "He's got some first issue Beatles, we're going with the mahogany!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456