+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Analogue - Yes or No ?

I'm Deleted.

Default Analogue - Yes or No ?

People don't 'have to move on', we aren't talking about getting over the death of a loved one or a failed marriage! If one feels the 'need' to 'move on' then dump CD and embrace streaming because, whilst vinyl is still strong, it is CD that is fast becoming the legacy format. I don't understand all this about the fuss of playing a record either, I just get it out of the sleeve, put it on the platter and play it. It's more fuss turning all the system on. And if you are tired of your old records buy some new ones - there are plenty of them out there you know! Almost all the records I buy are of newly released material. Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a CD player now and streaming still isn't really good enough (I do stream to the speakers in my bedroom and kitchen).

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I reckon the trend for 'De-cluttering one's life' is a psychological balm being applied to mask other pathologies.
    I agree.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    . Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a CD player now and streaming still isn't really good enough (I do stream to the speakers in my bedroom and kitchen).
    I find it hard to believe that you ever even dreamed of buying a cd player.

But you are right, CD is becoming the 'legacy format'. Why that means people think they have to get rid of them I have no idea. I mean they still work just fine.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you ever even dreamed of buying a cd player.

But you are right, CD is becoming the 'legacy format'. Why that means people think they have to get rid of them I have no idea. I mean they still work just fine.
    I agree. I'm keeping my very nice sounding CD setup and to moderate extent will be sidelining record playing and thinning the record collection.

I have four times as many CD's as records, but the records take up as much or more room. Having eight turntables really is not helping and I don't use my main one that often these days, even though it sounds excellent. An equipment radicalisation is under way. I'm flogging surplus!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

I actually own two CD players, though one is in a cupboard and other is boxed up amongst a bunch of other ephemera. I never feel the need to actually play anything on either of them.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martin.

I actually own two CD players, though one is in a cupboard and other is boxed up amongst a bunch of other ephemera. I never feel the need to actually play anything on either of them.
    What are they?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What do you do, Mark, if the music you're looking for isn't available on vinyl?

After all, quite a lot of stuff these days is only released on a digital format - and if you say that you can comfortably find all the music you like on vinyl, then you're not widening your horizons enough!

That's why I own digital and vinyl sources of comparable sonic ability [as a hi-fi enthusiast, that last bit is vital, if both sources and their respective music software are to be used and listened to equally], as there's no way I could find all the music I want on vinyl alone.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

What do you do if the music you are looking for is only available on vinyl and not Ceedee or digital file?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Good time to buy CD's though. Second hand are dirt cheap. New aren't too unreasonable price wise. Rip them to flac for streaming if you wish and you've still got the physical format if all else fails.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    What do you do if the music you are looking for is only available on vinyl and not Ceedee or digital file?
    Lol, that's a daft question, daftee... Then I buy the vinyl, which is why I have a turntable!

My favourite music exists not only on vinyl, but on CD and via streaming, so therefore I need access to ALL relevant sources able to play it, plus it all has to sound equally as good, with little discrepancy (in that respect) between the various sources, which is what I've achieved

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Anthony.

Sell the turntable , if at some point down the line you have a vinyl relapse , buy another one.
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast