+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery

I'm Steve.

Default If you won the lottery

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Some way out TTs (and tone arms) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OUYOvxNX0'

All that just to replay a flawed and imperfect sound storage medium.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

In terms of hifi, having been round the Munich show and seen how easy it would be to blow £100k on a load of relative (but shiny/branded) crap, I doubt whether much if anything in my system would change. (Having said that at 'list' my current setup would be over £50k - needless to say it owes me less than 20-30% of that but it's still a lot of dosh, more than anything else I own bar the house and my LPs/CDs from 40 years of record collecting).

I certainly wouldn't replace it with LV stuff, which underwhelmed/underperformed at Munich. thanks but no thanks.

What would change though is my house - my current kit would undoubtedly be improved in a better/dedicated room.

I don't do the lottery though but working toward the max allocation of premium bonds (where the odds aren't much different but you keep the stake!).

I'm Geoff.

Regardless of budget, A proper pair of Tannoys would be in there, along maybe with some vintage Altecs (good electrostatics could figure as well). Amps possibly Radford Revival or Pass. TVC and LDR pre-amp offerings would be 'soak tested'. The rest? A bit of 'suck it and see'. And that includes the front end (ends).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Regardless of budget, A proper pair of Tannoys would be in there, along maybe with some vintage Altecs (good electrostatics could figure as well). Amps possibly Radford Revival or Pass. TVC and LDR pre-amp offerings would be 'soak tested'. The rest? A bit of 'suck it and see'. And that includes the front end (ends).
    There already comrade

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stevied View Post
    They spent all that time yapping before one of them having the bright idea of listening to music. I thought the guy describing the system sounded more like the late Stanley Unwin than a sales rep ha ha.

I'm Martin.

The level control on the speakers have a lock so 'maids and children' can't mess with them.

Good idea: I often have that problem with my staff cocking about with my system when I'm not there.

Anyway he has sold 8 pairs so far, good luck to him, it all helps the balance of payments. I had a chat with him on the dog once about 20 years ago, very helpful and patient bloke.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If I won the lottery, I certainly wouldn't be spending it all on hi-fi!! Bizarre as it may seem, folks, there are other (rather more important) things in life

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I wouldn't spend it all on hi-fi either. Just most of it
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - depending on how much we're talking about, the only hi-fi I'd spend it on would be on one of the new SP10s, which I'd put into an Artisan Fidelity plinth.

The rest would go on our house, friends and family, cars and travelling abroad!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast