+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to go abut setting VTA?

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Do you think that might apply to a 2M Bronze too ? (same body but different stylus)

I had a 2mm spacer added when I brought the Rega RP3 so I have no experience of it without the 2mm to 'help' the VTA - at the time forum people were advocating 3mm or even 4mm.

regards, richard

Richard, if you're still attending this thread, I'd be interested in hearing how you make out with any experiments with this cartridge on a Rega arm. I have the Bronze on an RB300, mounted on a newly-refurbed Heybrook TT2. At present I have no way of easily raising or lowering the arm (spacers needed). With the stock felt mat, the arm is more or less level (hard to judge with the tapered Rega arm), and base of cart is parallel to the record. I did do a quick swap of the mat, going from the thin felt to a much thicker cork one, putting the arm a bit tail down, and I didn't like what I heard. Sound lost it's fullness, half the bass seemed to disappear, and soundstage shrank. How much of what I heard was from the different mat materials (cork vs. felt) or from the VTA change I can't say -- changing two variables at once is never a good idea.

Other than this I haven't tried anything else. But when I do I'd be happy to share my experience with you. I may buy one of the simple VTA adjusters that are out there -- the Michell and Isokinetik ones look good, and are reasonably priced.

If you've done any adjusting with your Bronze, I'd be curious as to how that worked out.

Thanks and regards,
    Svend

I'm jamie.

dont worry to much about getting the arm level,its the bottom of the cartridge that should be level as a starting point with the 2m series.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    dont worry to much about getting the arm level,its the bottom of the cartridge that should be level as a starting point with the 2m series.
    Got it! Thanks Jamie. Looks like I'm OK then as long as the thin felt mat is on there. I'd like to try a different mat at some point, so in the absence of an easy VTA adjuster, I'll have to make sure to buy a very thin one. I seem to recall SRM-Tech having a silicone (or similar material) mat that was only 1mm thick. That should serve well. Will post back if I try it.

Best,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234