+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to go abut setting VTA?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yeah but unless you vta 'on the fly' thats insane!
    I read about one nutcas... er, audiophile who had built a tiny motor into his tonearm so that he can dick around with VTA using a remote controller while the record is playing!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

According to the nutcas... er audiophiles at www.better-records.com, they sometimes spend hours on end adjusting their VTA. Makes me wonder what consequences that relentless replaying over the same grooves might afflict the poor LPs that are used as guinea pigs?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm jamie.

to be fair some cartridges like the 2m black need the vta setting properly to get the best from them,if that fuks up 1 record i couldn't care less,with that cartridge just setting the tonearm level just wont do it.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I read about one nutcas... er, audiophile who had built a tiny motor into his tonearm so that he can dick around with VTA using a remote controller while the record is playing!
    Why mess about like that. Just put a small helical adjuster under the ball at the bottom of the platter main bearing? Platter then goes up and down at will (however Will is ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm stuart.

Changing VTA for every record is bonkers unless the record is of uniform thickness and ruler flat

I'm Nigel.

I thought the correct vta is usually when the bottom of the cartridge is running parallel with the LP surface. It doesn't matter if the tonearm is also parallel.

I'm Simon.

I usually make sure the arm is parallel with the platter and leave it at that. There is no way I'm faffing with it for different record thickness, I've got loads of different ones and even 180g might not always be the exact same thickness. I've never gone too far down the rabbit hole on VTA but I do wonder if it really matters as much as some claim. Like mentioned above by Stuart, the record itself will need to be ruler flat anyway, a slight warp or dishing throws it all off.

I've always thought too that surely the cart suspension helps with this, to make sure the stylus sits in the groove properly and creating the angle it needs - of course you'd need to be in the ballpark to begin with.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I thought the correct vta is usually when the bottom of the cartridge is running parallel with the LP surface. It doesn't matter if the tonearm is also parallel.
    The housing of many cartridges is such that the bottom of the cartridge is not parallel with the top. In that regard the stylus rake angle (SRA) is a better parameter to measure, but is much more difficult to do so, and depends on the VTF.

The VTA is the angle between a notional line running from the cantilever pivot point (itself ill-defined) to the point of contact of the stylus with the groove wall (again not exactly defined), and the record surface. It has nothing to do with cartridge body or housing.
    Barry

I'm Hugo.

Regardless of how you feel about the guy and his opinions, Roy Gandy's VTA factsheet is pretty convincing.

I usually just set it to "doesn't look too ridiculous" and settle on that. Never done any blind tests though

I'm jamie.

not to me its not or every other 2m black owner who will tell you their cartridge sounds much better tail down.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast