+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who do you like better: Hendrix or Santana?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Music is a such a subjective thing, trying to find "the best" (even "your" best for that matter) is a bit like trying to nail a blancmange to the wall.
    Guys and girls: one thing is certain -- there is no shortage of phenomenal guitarists in our universe. I love discussing this subject to death, but as a thread starter, I'd like to ask if we could pull back to the original topic.

Few things I'd like to throw into the ring and see if we can get the discussion going:

1. Santana (to my ears) has the unmatched quality of electric guitar sound. I also love Hendrix's electric sound, but let's face it, he is no match for Carlos (no one is).
    2. Hendrix is a much more daring guitar player than Santana. But Santana is a much more consistent player than Jimi.
    3. Both Santana and Hendrix are incredibly versatile players. They can apparently play any style at will: blues, jazz, funk, flamenco, latin, Brazilian, avant-garde, fusion, rock, you name it. Which of the two would you say is more versatile?
    4. Hendrix is a phenomenal singer and has one of the most distinguished and likeable voices in recorded music. Santana sings like a dog.

Anything else we could throw on this comparative pile?
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 01-09-2017 at 17:32.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I'm increasingly saddened that, when I read "All Time Top Ten" lists nowadays, Ritchie Blackmore no longer features. Needless to add I think he's unsurpassable.

I'll mention Joe Bonamassa in dispatches though.

Pete

I'm Shaun.

Really like Carlos as a guitarist but don't like his shitty attitude towards western music. If western music is so bland and 4/4 then why is it so much more popular than latino...?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Sanatana is a very good player but Hendrix is a GOD. Clapton up there too. For me, in a technical and inspirational format Hendrix takes you on a journey into space and time. Clapton makes the hair stand on end at times but generally copied most of the old blues songs and made them his own. Santana doesn't really float my boat.

I had to have a cream Strat like Hendrix. He's the greatest.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I use a Les Paul Prophecy and a 50 Watt valve head cozz for me it has to be Gary Moore.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I use a Les Paul Prophecy and a 50 Watt valve head cozz for me it has to be Gary Moore.

Haha, not a bad choice.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

One you may not know
    Rainer Ptacek
    Also known as Rainer and Das Kombo

Guitar is probably my favourite instrument to listen to but I love good keyboard, bass, drums and any others I have forgetten
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Anthony.

Hendrix by far.

Most of my current faves are not too well known.

Ken Navarro
    Chuck Loeb ( recently departed )
    Marc Antoine

Love Pat Metheny Lee Ritenour and Larry Carlton
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234