+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you like better: Hendrix or Santana?

I'm Alex.

Default Who do you like better: Hendrix or Santana?

I am a guitar player, and naturally I have my heroes. Goes without saying that Hendrix has always been my number one guitar god, however lately I started noticing how Santana is figuring more and more at the very top of my guitar god pantheon.

At this point, I am having difficulties deciding which of the two are my most favourite guitar gods. That's why I'm curious to learn other people's opinions on these two guitar giants.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Bigman80 Guest

Sanatana is a very good player but Hendrix is a GOD. Clapton up there too. For me, in a technical and inspirational format Hendrix takes you on a journey into space and time. Clapton makes the hair stand on end at times but generally copied most of the old blues songs and made them his own. Santana doesn't really float my boat.

I had to have a cream Strat like Hendrix. He's the greatest.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I hate questions like this. Hendrix probably is the greatest, But there are many guitarists I'm a fan of. To name a few, Stephen Stiils, Franks Zappa, Bob Fripp, Randy California, Pat Travers and many others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nigel.

Always liked Hendrix, up and down with Santana but would put Robin Trower, Dave Mason and Ted Nugent up with the best, throw Rory Gallagher into the mix as well. Back to the original question, Hendrix every time.

I'm Grant.

Some of the great blues guitarists are hard to beat imv. The 3 kings for example. John Lee Hooker another, but there are many. Everyone is influenced by the older guys and they were idolised, even by Hendrix
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nigel.

Don't forget Pat Metheny, different genre but an excellent guitarist by any standard.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Don't forget Pat Metheny, different genre but an excellent guitarist by any standard.
    Indeed, there have been a lot of brilliant Jazz guitarists.(and classical/spanishetc) Its not, like blues often listened to by many, so they're talent gets missed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Some of the great blues guitarists are hard to beat imv. The 3 kings for example. John Lee Hooker another, but there are many. Everyone is influenced by the older guys and they were idolised, even by Hendrix
    I'm with you on John Lee Hooker, always gives me serious goosebumps
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Always liked Hendrix, up and down with Santana but would put Robin Trower, Dave Mason and Ted Nugent up with the best, throw Rory Gallagher into the mix as well. Back to the original question, Hendrix every time.

My three favourite guitarists are George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, and Carlos Santana. I love all three of them better than other amazing guitarists because they were so versatile. While Clapton is amazing, to my ears he is not very versatile. He is unbeatable at his own game, and he seems content to be staying in that box.

Jimmy Page is another of the versatile ones, but not nearly as skilled and versatile as George or Jimi or Carlos.

Alex.

I'm joe.

The correct answer is, of course, Peter Green. Carlos Santana's solos always seemed to go on forever, and not in a good way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast