+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you like better: Hendrix or Santana?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Paco de Lucia will always be The God of Guitar as far as I'm concerned. :-)
    True. Paco was the undisputed master of feedback.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Some of my favourite guitar players are not really known primarily for their guitar playing. Neil Young, or Frank Zappa e.g
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just a ridiculous question.

Got nothing against Santana, got a few of his records. But still utterly ridiculous to even ask.
    Well, here is what I'm getting at: much as absolutely adore Hendrix and think that his first three studio albums contain what probably is the most perfect electric guitar ever recorded, listening to some of his other stuff... well, I don't know how to put it, but it tends to get tedious.

For example, last night I was listening to the double LP "Hendrix in the West". Well, nice as it is, it contains too many of horrendous bum notes. Hendrix was often totally out of it, and tended to play a lot of garbage. Also, when he loses his muse and starts playing gibberish, the only way he tries to recover is to switch to making meaningless shitty noise. That's not very encouraging, considering he is the ultimate god in the guitar pantheon.

Meanwhile, in many decades that I've been following Santana's playing, he never managed to screw up his live playing. Yes, as he was getting older, the initial fire and fury started to subside (which is to be expected), but I have never ever heard Santana play a bum note. He is at worst just playing correctly, never thrashing the guitar the way Hendrix did way too many times.

And as the final argument, I quote Prince (another phenomenal guitarist) who said that yes, Hendrix may be the best, but Santana's guitar playing is prettier
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Both, plus a huge amount of others.

The question that used to be asked was Hendrix or Clapton ?
    My answer : Both
    No way. Clapton is just too boxed in, always playing the same stuff. Hendrix was a mind-blowing innovator.

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post

And as the final argument, I quote Prince (another phenomenal guitarist) who said that yes, Hendrix may be the best, but Santana's guitar playing is prettier
    I think Prince nails it. And yes I agree he was a top player himself when he wanted to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some of my favourite guitar players are not really known primarily for their guitar playing. Neil Young, or Frank Zappa e.g
    Yeah, as I mentioned, my favourite guitar player is George Harrison, who is generally more known for his songwriting/sitar playing skills.

Alex.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

No one has mentioned Alvin Lee
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    No one has mentioned Alvin Lee
    Saw him play live a few times. Wonderful.

As were so many other geetarr players.
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Very hard to choose the "best" Mike I agree with you on that.

There are also the Acoustic boys too the likes of Davy Graham, Micheal Hedges, Andy Mckee, its an endless list really, and I enjoy them all, and as a curve ball how about Kaki King to give the ladeeez a shout too
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Tony.

Music is a such a subjective thing, trying to find "the best" (even "your" best for that matter) is a bit like trying to nail a blancmange to the wall.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast