+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New SP10 - Technics is launching the SP-10R

I'm Jim.

I suspect the motor will be $12,000 and the Motor/plinth/arm about $20,000.

An interesting link to measurements of various Technics DD tables, starting at #329 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post5180497

Compare the Mk3 to the -1200GAE, it's rather illuminating. I suspect the SP-10R will be as good or better than the Mk3.

Also worth note, Scott Wurcer is working in that thread to make a good standard for measuring TT polars.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Robert.

The SP10R feature in the latest (November) edition of Hifi Choice shows price as €10,000 Euros - just shy of £9K
    Available summer 2018 .....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Martin.

Well, they were never going to be giving them away. it's a serious chunk of cutter for a record player. And you need to buy a tonearm and cartridge as well. And a phono stage good enough to do it justice.

Probably still better value than the mega-priced bling decks, though. But out of my reach.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

That's revolting. Utterly turned off by the price.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I would think that a company like Technics expect to sell a lot of these so would not charge crazy prices. Clearly, there is a lot of precision engineering going on here but I would be very surprised if it sells for more than $10k and possibly even around $7k! Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Geoff

I'm Robert.

A lot of beans indeed.

My approach would have been exactly as you did it Oliver, if I ever had gone SP10. As that for me is where the genuine value is to be had and the smart money would go.

Watch prices for the MK2 and 3 rocket with the attention around this one coupled with its big price tag.

People who dont properly know like us will get to realise how good and good value an original in good shape could be.

The SP10 was always a top deck just needing a good arm and cart and not much else really.

I also dont believe the new one will be a great, big, large (however you choose to put it) degree better sonically, it will be as good as the original or a little better but no where near where you're starting point for deck only is £9K as pretty as she might be, all in my opinion of course
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    A lot of beans indeed.

My approach would have been exactly as you did it Oliver, if I ever had gone SP10. As that for me is where the genuine value is to be had and the smart money would go.

Watch prices for the MK2 and 3 rocket with the attention around this one coupled with its big price tag.

People who dont properly know like us will get to realise how good and good value an original in good shape could be.

The SP10 was always a top deck just needing a good arm and cart and not much else really.

I also dont believe the new one will be a great, big, large (however you choose to put it) degree better sonically, it will be as good as the original or a little better but no where near where you're starting point for deck only is £9K as pretty as she might be, all in my opinion of course
    Yes Robbie, I think the money I've spent is being repaid in full by the quality of sound I'm getting.

The price of the SP10R is going to greatly impact the SP10mk3 the most. If you can get a new Sp10r for £7-10k, who's gonna pay that for an old MK3?

The MK3 btw is very difficult to repair so I'm told. No issues with the MK2 as it's all completely replaceable components. Can't do that with a MK3

I'm Robert.

Exactly Oliver, the smart money goes on a MK2 SP10. Then get it to a good tech who knows what they are doing for a proper service \ overhaul (as you know)

Genuine and respected high end audiophile tt and not daft money
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Paul.

The SP10R feature in the latest (November) edition of Hifi Choice shows price as €10,000 Euros - just shy of £9K
    Available summer 2018 .....
    Is that the price for the motor unit only? Och well, never mind. It's a good job that I'm happy with my TTS-8000.

Bigman80 Guest

Exactly Oliver, the smart money goes on a MK2 SP10. Then get it to a good tech who knows what they are doing for a proper service \ overhaul (as you know)

Genuine and respected high end audiophile tt and not daft money
    Add in a Tenuto platter mat and your as good as a MK3 anyway.

Found a firm online who re-finish the metalwork of the SP10. £190 and can be left in the finish as intended from the factory or painted any colour you like. It's a good step if you can pick up an old one with a bit of cosmetic wear. Keeps the price down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast