+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emi epu 100 tonearm

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I got my hand slapped when trying to access this link. To make sure I opened the page individually, logged in and downloaded the manual...

Looks to be a very sensible design to me with a stout arm tube, unipivot and hopefully a good cartridge - NOTE THE 68K LOADING REQUIREMENT!!!!!!! The usual 47K loading may cause dullness.

I haven't a clue about stylus availabilty and there doesn't appear to be a bias corrector, but if it needs re-wiring (almost certainly) the service manual is downloadable from VE and Johnie at Audio Origami should be able to sort it if you so desire.
    Fortunately I can fully adjust the loading with resistors on my phono stage. It has preset for 47 100 and 1000 K ohm as standars, but infinite combination of settings is available by soldering resistors to the type of connector (RCA or XLR) that is not being used and plugging these connectors into the phono stage.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

PLEASE let us know how you get on...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Just clicked on your link & got this.........
    #
    Traffic from the following URL is not permitted due to forum/pm spam abuse by it's administrators

www.theartofsound.net
    Your IP address - xxxxxxxxxx - has been logged by the system and further access to this site may be blocked. The Vinyl Engine website has a zero tolerance policy on spammers.

Not so sure I like being referred to as a spammer - what's going on Admin?
    Nothing to do with you Chris. Just something VE decided they'd do in retaliation for some early efforts to drum up support on the VE forum way back in early 2008 when AOS was starting out. Any incoming links from AOS are redirected to that notice... I've previously asked them if we could move on in a spirit of fraternity, but...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Juha.

PLEASE let us know how you get on...
    I should get my hifi kit downstairs and unpacked this weekend .

I will write my first impressions once the arm is fixed to my Garrard. I assume I need to get it re-wired and re-tipped first though.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Adam.

I used to have one of these! Lovely sounding arm, if a bit soft. Do keep the plastic transport wedge in place unless it's actually installed as the oil around the bearing has a tendency to dribble out otherwise!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I used to have one of these! Lovely sounding arm, if a bit soft. Do keep the plastic transport wedge in place unless it's actually installed as the oil around the bearing has a tendency to dribble out otherwise!
    Hello Adam.

Unfortunately that red plastic transport wedge has disappeared according to the pictures .

May I ask if you used the original EMI stereo cartridge or is there any possibilities using other cartridges without structural modifications? On pictures Decca cartridges looks to have similar 3 pin attachment, but I do not know if them fit EMI arm ?
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Increasing the loading to the recommended 68K or even higher *should* restore some treble IIRC.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

I had one of these four years ago, but had to sell it on so I never managed to listen to it. Even then, it went for over £300, to Hong Kong, of course.
    The cartridge looks a bit like a Tannoy variable reluctance type, definitely not a conventional MM/MC with cantilever and so on. The arm itself is a bit like an industrial version of a Transcriptors Fluid Arm, although it predates that by about ten years.

The pictures I took for Ebay may be of interest:

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/EMI/

I would have inserted them into this post, but they always come out about five times bigger than my screen when I try that...

I'm Juha.

Increasing the loading to the recommended 68K or even higher *should* restore some treble IIRC.
    According to the manual, recommended input impedance is 68K Ohms, but can be used within limits of 50-100K Ohms, so you are absolute right 47K Ohms would be too low and most likely sound dull.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I had one of these four years ago, but had to sell it on so I never managed to listen to it. Even then, it went for over £300, to Hong Kong, of course.
    The cartridge looks a bit like a Tannoy variable reluctance type, definitely not a conventional MM/MC with cantilever and so on. The arm itself is a bit like an industrial version of a Transcriptors Fluid Arm, although it predates that by about ten years.

The pictures I took for Ebay may be of interest:

http://www.thepippin.plus.com/EMI/

I would have inserted them into this post, but they always come out about five times bigger than my screen when I try that...
    Many thanks for charing the pictures .

According to your pictures, your EMI tonearm had mono cartridge. I have found out that EMI manufactured mono and stereo cartridges. Mono cartridge had red dot on the front of the cartridge body and the stereo one had white dot.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast