+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Crossfeed controller device for speakers

I'm Alex.

Default DIY Crossfeed controller device for speakers

Has anyone had positive experience with using Crossfeed devices for speakers instead of headphones? The Taket Sound Activator device appears to be a crossfeed control unit and I am wondering if there are any DIYers on the forum who has built such a unit. The Taket is 150 GBP so I am looking for a cheaper alternative as an experiment to see whether crossfeeding is worthwhile for speakers. Witchdoctor.nz has a positive review of the Taket SA.

I'm Rob.

There was a thread on Rock Grotto forum some years ago about a DIY Meier crossfeed for headphones. I bought a pcb to make one and never got around to it. I understand that this is a passive unit that you plugged your headphones into and then into a head amp. I assume that for speakers it would require an active unit to process the incoming signal rather than it being placed between speakers and amp?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Alex.

the taket SA device is passive and connects to the + terminals of the speaker outputs (L and R channel)

I'm Geoff.

Not sure why somebody would wish to compromise stereo imaging.

I did experiment years ago with a version of the Hafler speaker 'ambient' circuit that uses a centre speaker with an 'L' pad, fed from both left and right + outputs from the amp. This achieves the same end. Results made me decide it was not worth bothering.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I understand that this is a passive unit that you plugged your headphones into and then into a head amp.
    I think you mean a headphone amp. A head amp is preamp which is (usually) placed close to the transducer it's amplifying, such as inside a condenser microphone. In a hi-fi context the term head amp usually refers to a preamp for LOMCs, placed between the cartridge and phonostage.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think you mean a headphone amp. A head amp is preamp which is (usually) placed close to the transducer it's amplifying, such as inside a condenser microphone. In a hi-fi context the term head amp usually refers to a preamp for LOMCs, placed between the cartridge and phonostage.
    Yes, you are of course right. I have upped my daily dosage of Aricept
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread