+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR4x advice/opinions

I'm Edward.

But very often folks try out 'ambitious' prices using the Bay, Preloved and Gumtree. Sometimes nearly double what they actually go for. :-)

So how do they sound Lawrence? Did you have a look at the drivers and the cross-overs?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    But very often folks try out 'ambitious' prices using the Bay, Preloved and Gumtree. Sometimes nearly double what they actually go for
    Asking prices don't necessarily reflect normal selling prices. Bargains are still to be found (usually by me ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

No, not checked then out properly yet, I'd say a very warm full sound but still with treble detail, voices are fantastic,eg the chattering at the end of Pink Floyd money is amongst the best I've heard. Mids and bass are their strong point but with new caps I think they should be great across the spectrum.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Asking prices don't necessarily reflect normal selling prices. Bargains are still to be found (usually by me ).
    I always search by sold prices on eBay, there aren't many in the UK but £100-£150 is common in the US for these.

I'm John.

Had a pair of AR6s for about 20 years. Loved them. Bought them in the Tottenham Court Road and carried them home on the train to Sussex - not an easy carry at each end, and I couldn't afford a taxi! When the surrounds dissolved I junked them . . . hated myself for that ever since, but I had no idea you could refoam them - this was pre-internet days. Now in some landfill, sob!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcC View Post
    Had a pair of AR6s for about 20 years. Loved them. Bought them in the Tottenham Court Road and carried them home on the train to Sussex - not an easy carry at each end, and I couldn't afford a taxi! When the surrounds dissolved I junked them . . . hated myself for that ever since, but I had no idea you could refoam them - this was pre-internet days. Now in some landfill, sob!
    If you had absolutely original AR6's they would still be going, as they had cloth surrounds that in my experience
    never perish. The AR6's I have are now 45 year old and work perfectly.

Which sort of says AR6's that have been replaced with foam suffered some other form of abuse. A viable alternative
    to foam and refoaming and refoaming.. is to use cloth again, and there are a few You Tube videos on this, or easier still,
    use rubber surrounds. Rubber slightly lowers the drivers mechanical compliance further still, and once again in my experience,
    is an improvement over foam, or the original cloth.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    If you had absolutely original AR6's they would still be going, as they had cloth surrounds that in my experience
    never perish. The AR6's I have are now 45 year old and work perfectly.
    All the AR6's I've seen in the UK, including new ones have had foam cone surrounds. There could have been variations for other countries I guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

I'm pretty sure the AR6 cones all had foam surrounds. The AR4x (and possibly the earlier AR4) were cloth, not sure about the lower number models.

I'm Rob.

Love old ARs.

I own a pair of AR4xa which is a slightly later version with a different tweeter.
    Mine were in beat-up condition but I've restored them. They were in my room at Scalford a few years ago driven by a vintage Marantz receiver.

Scalford 2014 (21) by Tony Lonorgan, on Flickr

The restoration was detailed over on the US Classic Speaker Pages (dedicated to fans of Advent, AR, KLH, Alison etc):

Link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/I...#comment-98631

Bass response from these old designs is excellent thanks to the woofer being designed for use in small-medium sealed cabinets.

Rob

I'm Lawrence.

Sold them, just don't have the time and space for vintage speakers anymore. Well maybe, I've got my eye on a pair with a faulty tweeter that I happen to have a spare on the loft for...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123