+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR4x advice/opinions

I'm Lawrence.

Default AR4x advice/opinions

I thought my vintage speaker days were over, but I might be getting a pair of these tomorrow, any advice on what to look for? I believe they have cloth surrounds so foam rot should not be an issue. Scratchy L pad is probably to be expected. Has anyone spent a bit of time with a pair and have an opinion?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I rather like those. They're not everybody's cup of tea though.

The cloth cone surrounds can get a bit hard and as you say the controls can get noisy. If I recall, there's no proper crossover, just a cap in series with the tweeter.

I had a set of these sounding quite sweet on the end of a Rogers Ravensbrooke amp, although the tweeter is not the most revealing or refined. Wouldn't mind another pair to play with some time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

I've been using a pair of AR8Bxs in a separate room for years and love them. They were derived from the AR8s and after getting them refoamed (about 25 years ago!) they have been singing nicely. I think they go for only a few quid when they come up on the Bay.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

The later (late 70s onwards) AR speakers do seem to go cheap I wonder if there are some bargains to be had.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Hi
    I have AR7's which are very similar. I have used AR4x as well. With AR acoustic suspension you are getting really extended bass performance for size of cabinet. The AR vintage speakers, are just genuinely nice speakers to use. However deserve really good amplification. Yes pots can be replaced with fixed resistors if you can live without adjustment.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    I have AR7's which are very similar
    Had those too. Would like a good set of AR6 or even better AR5.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Later AR's in cheaper vinyl-wrap boxes shouldn't be confused with the rather more solid (stolid?) early 70's models with mostly oatmeal coloured grilles. My own favourites of the time were AR7 and AR6, 2ax, 3a - especially in 'Improved' form, MST and LST and the 10 pi, the last of which is very rare in the UK. I don't remember the 4 and 5 models so much - I think it was the 5 I didn't care for but it's several lifetimes ago for me now.

No bloody help at all am I, but the caps should be reasonable and may not need to be replaced. The boxes were pretty well sealed so a slightly hard surround may not be as terminal as in a ported box and gritty level adjustors can be cleaned easily enough I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    - I think it was the 5 I didn't care for but it's several lifetimes ago for me now.

Do you regenerate in a new body a bit like Doctor Who then, Dave?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Don't get him going on Dr Who.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've had a bit of a life since the mid 70's and several major chapters have now flown by since then, hence the 'different lifetimes' comment.

A shame however, that the show I once loved so much has deteriorated in recent times and is all but ending at Christmas. Whatever it's called afterwards, it won't ever be the same again, with that godawful actress taking over the lead role
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast