+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Grand Wazoo – An Explanation

I'm Mike.

TGW,

Many thanks for that info. I did p.m. you when I realised that the transformers may have been what you had suggested, but you've anwered my queries in your posting.

You are obviously more technically advanced than I, and familiar with this approach, as is Marco. I wouldn't know if the gain (1;10) would be enough for the .6mv output of the Black, though you say it is adjustable. How on Earth are these powered? Or are they passive devices?

I'm obviously tempted, not least by the value for money aspect you mention, but then I'd have to source a mm phono stage and get SME to shorten the overlong arm leads that used to pick up RFI when I had on-board phono cards.

I have twice as many non-classical records, and a VPI 16.5, which does a reasonable job, but doesn't repair groove damage!

I've had the Black for just three weeks, and it seems to improve with listening in an analogue way. From Ortophon, Linn, Roksan and 2 Lyra carts. vinyl seemed to be more CD-like, so the Koetsu is a refreshing change which I'm sure will endure.

Marco has suggested the pragmatic solution of a s/s active stage (like the Superline, e.g.), which appeals because (a) it's only one unit with minimal hassle factor, and, (b) I understand that approach.

I really cannot imagine the different sonic rewards of these two approaches. though I suspect the 'purist?' transformer route may have the edge in what Marco feels is my rather revealing system (and I don't think he's far out, to judge by recent visitors' comments).

Shall have to play this one by ear, I think. Can't think there'll be too many of that calibre of transformer coming onto the market, though!.

I have enjoyed reading the thread concerning the Koetsu cartridges. I have one but not yet up and running with a phono stage so waiting with baited breath. I have an LFD pre-amp and have a friend building me a very advanced phono stage, my friend being more than a little brilliant in this respect. I am trying to find the series resistance and the inductance of the Red Signature for use in designing the phono stage. Does anyone have any idea what these measures might be? If so, I would really appreciate your help or any tips which might get me closer to an answer.

Thanks Steve

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hi Steve and welcome.

I don't have a clue unfortunately, but someone who does will undoubtedly be along in a mo.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Default McLeodsd

I believe the resistance of the Red Sig, is the same as for my Black: 100 ohms nominally. (although various reviewers have experimented in the range 25 -150. There is an interesting general review of the range on the net from 10 Audio (Google 'Koetsu Black, Red or whatever).

Inductance? No idea, but I would imagine Absolute Sounds, the importer, would assist. I've found them very helpful with info. Tel. 0208 971 3909 or 3904.

TGW and Marco on this forum are certainly familiar with the Black, at least, and may be able to offer some insight.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by mcleodsd View Post
    I am trying to find the series resistance and the inductance of the Red Signature for use in designing the phono stage. Does anyone have any idea what these measures might be?
    Hi
    Coil resistance of all the Koetsu types - as far as I am aware is 5 Ohms.
    I'll get back to you on the inductance.

I think Mike (above) may be referring to preferred loading, which is different.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234