+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New (Change of Turntable Advice) appreciated.

I'm Peter.

Default New (Change of Turntable Advice) appreciated.

All this has come about due to a recent acquisition of an all time favourite tonearm. (Dynavector DV507 Mk II).

Anyway, now I have got this arm, what Turntable would you advise?

My current TT. (Townsend Rock 7) will have to go to fund whatever is chosen but I'm in a complete dilemma what to get or if it will even match up to the sonic quality of what I've all ready got. I know the arm will be better but as for the rest of it...... I have no idea.

As a complete uneducated punt, I was thinking maybe the Grail Audio 301 (completely rebuilt) and the SMD Granite plinth but that's just a guess in the dark. Or perhaps something more modern!

There also appears to be many differing views about Plinth materials, i.e slate / granite / wood and it seems to be a bit of a minefield as to what is best.... or even preferred.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy it all and then compare, so the sale will have to fund the purchase. "Let's hope I don't make the biggest mistake in ever"

I have been out of the general TT market for many years as I only have ever had the Townsend models, so I am not educated on what is good / bad or indifferent.

It must sound madness, but I really am happy with what I've got but the Dynavector has got me a little more than just curious.

budget (with the sale of the Rock / Merlin / SME) possibly about 4K.

I'm not suggesting you choose a TT for me, but any pearls of wisdom or advice really would be appreciated.

Best

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

Seriously Peter, no advice from me, my turntable days are over but what a dilemma...? Lucky bugger

I'm Adrian.

The grail is an exceptional rebuild. I've pm'd you about the rock should you decide to sell.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

My immediate thought was that something from Nottingham Analogue could be wonderful with that arm.

http://nottinghamanaloguestudio.co.uk/turn_tables/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Is there a problem with running the new arm on the Rock? I always thought the Rock was pretty good provided you can live with the trough.

I'm Adrian.

That was my thought but the arm is to heavy for a suspended deck. Another thought might be a separate arm pod by speedy Steve - but I'm not sure if that's doable wth the rock layout...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    That was my thought but the arm is to heavy for a suspended deck. Another thought might be a separate arm pod by speedy Steve - but I'm not sure if that's doable wth the rock layout...
    I don't know enough about either component. I have heard a few versions of the Rock but not used one. The Rock 7 has some kind of air suspension. How heavy is the arm compared to others? I am using a Zeta which is supposed to be pretty heavy.

I'm Peter.

It's a shame you have dumped this post in here with few responses. Thought is was worth more!!

Oh well, such is life!,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    I have been looking at the specs and operation - looks to be another order of heaviness compared with ordinary arms so I now understand why suspended decks are ruled out.

It may be possible to be creative and rig some kind of sprung block underneath the arm if installed on the Rock 7 to alleviate the weight issue but still have acoustic isolation. Other than that it has to be a deck with solid plinth and feet such as one of the better DDs that accept different arms or one of the idler drives. Martin T has a review here and at TAS where he is using a Technics.

I'm Grant.

Be inclined to go The NA way too mighty fine decks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast