+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD ticking or clicking sound as it spins

I'm Sean.

I really hope it's a poor cd and not my cd7300 as I love the player and yes, I would try and get it serviced if need be. I had a very cheap CD player once and it ticked on every cd - this is so far just on the last cd I bought, so fingers crossed.

I'm chris.

sounds like the mechanism having trouble of focusing on the cd - if all cd then its the mechanism and you may not be able to get a replacement - one reason when I bought my Audiolab 8200cdq I obtained from Audiolab a spare mechanism as I keep my gear for 10 years+

if you really like the player then you should investigate whether a replacement mechanism is available and get one while you can?

I'm Daz.

I used to utilise a Marantz universal player (UD5007), as my CD/SACD/DVD-A/HFPA reading and processing source, and it worked fantastic. But my audiophile obsessive (slight) disorder demanded a pure CD transport. And this way that affordable, good-looking Cambridge CXC landed on my rack. It ticked, which I noticed quite fast, but only in a "pause" mode. I asked for a replacement and the replacement also ticked (again in its "pause" mode only). Not a problem, really, alas, I must admit, pretty annoying. I returned the Cambridge CD transport and invested in Cyrus transport instead. No problems at all. So to summarise: ticks do exist in some CD players/transports.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by KindOfDaz View Post
    ........It ticked......... but only in a "pause" mode.................and the replacement also ticked (again in its "pause" mode only)...........
    That is quite normal behaviour.
    When in pause mode, the Laser is reading the same few bits of information over and over and over...........ad infinitum. By its very nature this is bound to cause some mechanical noise.

Noises during normal playback can be caused by the Spindle Motor or by the Servos controlling the Focus and Tracking coils trying to cope with minute imperfections on the disc. These can sometimes be invisible to the naked eye but the train of ones and noughts are so thin that the imperfections don't have to be much bigger to cause mechanical noises.

Are the noises experienced by the OP audible over the music?
    If not, does the OP think there is some distortion or audible artifacts caused by excessive error correction?

Jim.

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    When in pause mode, the Laser is reading the same few bits of information over and over and over...........ad infinitum. By its very nature this is bound to cause some mechanical noise.

Noises during normal playback can be caused by the Spindle Motor or by the Servos controlling the Focus and Tracking coils trying to cope with minute imperfections on the disc. These can sometimes be invisible to the naked eye but the train of ones and noughts are so thin that the imperfections don't have to be much bigger to cause mechanical noises.

Are the noises experienced by the OP audible over the music?
    If not, does the OP think there is some distortion or audible artifacts caused by excessive error correction?

Jim.
    that surprises me I would hope pause shuts the laser down.

I'm Daz.

It may be, but in my new CD transport it doesn't exist. And I prefer it that way

I'm James.

It may be, but in my new CD transport it doesn't exist. And I prefer it that way
    Even in Pause Mode?
    I find that difficult to believe.

Jim

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by mercalia View Post
    that surprises me I would hope pause shuts the laser down.
    'fraid not. Certainly in older Players and all of the modern ones I've had apart.

Jim

I'm Daz.

I find that difficult to believe.Jim
    I'm being honest with you. No ticks whatsoever. Even in the "pause" mode. Both in Marantz UD5007 and Cyrus transport. But there were ticks on both Cambridge's CXCs.
    Last edited by KindOfDaz; 15-09-2017 at 09:21.

I'm James.

I'm being honest with you......
    I never thought you were lying !! Just have never found this on any Player I've ever seen. I'm amazed !!

Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12