+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD ticking or clicking sound as it spins

I'm Sean.

Default CD ticking or clicking sound as it spins

It's a fairly recent acquisition (Marantz CD7300 s/h) and all has been well, but a recent CD purchased does that annoying ticking as it spins - I hear it between tracks. I've not noticed this before.
    So two questions:

1. What is actually the cause of this? All sorts of theories on the net, but nothing conclusive I could find.
    2. How do I stop it, is it a fault with the player or the CD? Would replacing the CD simply mean I got another ticking CD or might it go away?

In the back of my mind I think of ticking as the precursor to doom - just as a ticking hard drive is in a PC. I remember a cheap player that I still have that ticked on every CD for years but actually played fine.

I'm Grant.

Might be the cd. Does it do it on all cds?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Sean.

It's the first time I've noticed it - but being a 2nd hand player from early 2000s I worry that it's a bad sign of things to come. I tried a couple of CDs with the speakers off so I could sit right close to it and noticed a couple of others making slight noise, but nothing serious.

I'm Neil.

The CD likely has a lot of errors, making the CD player's servos & error correction work extra hard, often heard with a clicking sound.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Sean.

Why would this be? Poor cd manufacture?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebomb View Post
    Why would this be? Poor cd manufacture?
    Yes, most of the time due to too high burning speeds.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Sean.

That's interesting, at least if this is the reason it doesn't indicate a failing player. I wonder if it's worth exchanging the cd - though I'd imagine the whole lot will be produced the same way. Do more expensive high end players suffer in the same way when poorly manufactured discs are played I wonder?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Yes, most of the time due to too high burning speeds.
    I don't think the OP mentioned CDR.
    Commercially produced CDs are pressed.
    That said, there are many discs out there that are referred to as CDs, but they're nothing of the sort. They do not conform to the Red Book standard.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Well Ive just fired up my 7300 for you and there is no ticking noise and Ive been right up close. Ive heard hundreds of cds on it and Ive never noticed a ticking noise. Its a very quiet player and effectively silent in operation....Im not sticking my ear right on it

A google search reveals all the possible cause of ticking from laser tracking motors to warped and off centre discs. Most players will make tracking noises as stethoscope level but you shoudnt hear it even close up to the box

It could be that your mechanism is on the way out. You can replace that Philips mechanism in there. Its more likely to be a tracking tick but obviously there are spindle motors and moving parts so it has to be process of elimination

I have heard a ticking over the years as Ive owned players since 1983 but its usually a problem with the disc or a very cheap mechanism.

Its one of those niggly things that you will have to prove either way. It would help if you can get a fresh pair of ears on it locally to you.

A regular tick that you can hear clearly will annoy you so further detective work and comparisons should throw light on it. I understand that its one of those issues that can be the wrong side of technically easy to diagnose.

I would say that the 7300 is worth the expense of servicing and restoration

I'm Russell.

I wonder if the CD grooves are out of center? Causing the head to mode back and forth trying to track?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast