+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: New Toy - Too Embarrassed To Reveal What It Is

I'm Peter.

Hi Bev.

Geoff's advice in post 79 is spot-on. That's where I am with my main system, and it seems like you're almost there, too

IME, Naim have really nailed their amp 'ladder' at the moment. I've heard most of the current range, and each is really very good at sounding 'just right' in isolation / at each step ... which, as you've discovered, makes auditioning rather challenging, because they all sound good when appropriately matched The Nait 5si I had sounded very engaging and balanced, when fed with a CD5si and driving a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT6 stand-mounters. It wasn't until I got the CDX2 and a pair of KEF Reference 104/2 speakers that it started to struggle a bit, and its limitations became more obvious. I went on to a Supernait 2, but your speakers are easy to drive, so I'm not surprised that each amp sounds fine in its own right.

From my experience the SN2 will probably drive most speakers properly, so maybe if you think that you might ever change speakers in the future, it might be a safer long-term bet? It also has enough resolution to clearly show any source upgrades, too ... the differences between the 3 cd players I have atm were more easily heard with the SN2 than the Nait 5si. If all else fails, just disengage your analytical brain and follow your heart

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Hi Bev.

Geoff's advice in post 79 is spot-on. That's where I am with my main system, and it seems like you're almost there, too

IME, Naim have really nailed their amp 'ladder' at the moment. I've heard most of the current range, and each is really very good at sounding 'just right' in isolation / at each step ... which, as you've discovered, makes auditioning rather challenging, because they all sound good when appropriately matched The Nait 5si I had sounded very engaging and balanced, when fed with a CD5si and driving a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT6 stand-mounters. It wasn't until I got the CDX2 and a pair of KEF Reference 104/2 speakers that it started to struggle a bit, and its limitations became more obvious. I went on to a Supernait 2, but your speakers are easy to drive, so I'm not surprised that each amp sounds fine in its own right.

From my experience the SN2 will probably drive most speakers properly, so maybe if you think that you might ever change speakers in the future, it might be a safer long-term bet? It also has enough resolution to clearly show any source upgrades, too ... the differences between the 3 cd players I have atm were more easily heard with the SN2 than the Nait 5si. If all else fails, just disengage your analytical brain and follow your heart
    Peter thanks for your message

Well I swapped back to the XS2 for a couple of weeks and only put the SN2 back in a few days ago

The trouble is I still cannot decide between the two amps

If it makes any sense at all I find the SN2 a little more 'grown up'

As I now have the Chord Hugo as my dac, being fed by the Naim CD5XS as transport, the SN2 seems to be showing itself as the more revealing of the two amps

I am having quite a few 'good grief' moments with the Hugo and SN2 in the system so maybe the SN2 will stay
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Shane.

Bev,

How are you getting on with the Supernait 2?

Does it sound more civilised/refined than the XS-2?

S.

I'm Shane.

Fart to Bev..... Are you listening?

S.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Hi Shane
    Well I have only been listening to the Supernait 2 for some weeks now and it's really very good indeed

To be honest I can't remember how the XS2 sounded but I think I would say the SN2 is indeed more civilised/refined than the XS2... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the XS2 and it was that amp that got me 'into' the Naim sound

I will try the XS2 again soon and will then be able to give you more of an update
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789