+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Toy - Too Embarrassed To Reveal What It Is

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    it's truly horrible stuff to love with, being so stiff.
    Oo-er, missus!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    My SuperNait2 surprised and delighted me, so I hope yours does the same. It does respond very well to careful setup and, yes, cabling does matter. So far, Naim's hateful NACA5 speaker cable seems to work best, but it's truly horrible stuff to live with, being so stiff. I've found that RCA cables are always better than DIN, even when using Naim's own cables. A HiCap DR makes it sound much more grown up and sweeter. Lovely amp that when carefully set up will confound preconceptions of a harsh 'Naim Sound'.
    That's very interesting Hugo

When you say 'careful setup' could you expand on that?

As I don't have a Naim cd player I'm using the RCA connections which sound fine to me, albeit against the recommended Naim DIN connections

My NACA5 cable had to go back to the dealer as it was so very badly made, very shoddy work indeed. I did use the NACA5 for a couple of hours and I was very impressed, even against my TQ Ultra Black which I never thought possible

I am hoping the new NACA5 and the SN2 will both arrive on Tuesday

Hugo you also mention the harsh "Naim Sound" and that is exactly my previous experience of Naim amps, however the XS2 is anything but harsh sounding and a complete surprise to me. I am hoping that the SN2 will be somewhat like the XS2 but kind of 'more so', if that makes sense

I am listening to my toons, via the XS2, as I type and after not hearing it for a week I still really like it so I know my initial thoughts about it were correct
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    That chap's SN2 shouldn't sound like that ... mine isn't aggressive at all. I'd suggest it either needs running in, or it's showing up the true nature of his speakers
    Well the SN2 arrived and the NACA5 + jumpers

You are spot on Peter the chaps SN2 should not sound like it does as mine sounds fantastic and not aggressive at all and no hint of any harshness anywhere

Do I prefer it to the XS2? I can't answer that one at the moment as I've just been enjoying the SN2 for the last few days

My best description of the SN2 is that it's 'similar' sounding to the XS2 in some ways but 'more so' if that makes any sense. It is certainly more revealing than the XS2 but it still seems to like the rest of the system

I won't swap back to the XS2 for a few days yet and then I can do a back-to-back comparison

But loving the SN2's sound at the moment
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Peter.

That's good! It'll be interesting to see what you decide, Bev. I would think that the SN2 is a better amplifier, but as we all know, that doesn't mean it'll be more enjoyable

I'm Steve.

That's good! It'll be interesting to see what you decide, Bev. I would think that the SN2 is a better amplifier, but as we all know, that doesn't mean it'll be more enjoyable
    That's a very good point. I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome. It's always good to hear other poeple' experiences comparing things at hiome in their own systems. I admire anyone who stumps up for two products in order to compare them at their leisure.

You may well be right there Peter

I'm still getting a 'handle' on the SN2's sound. It is certainly very musical, like the XS2 is, but there is definitely more detail revealed than that amp and it seems easier to follow any thread of the music with the SN2

I won't swap back to the XS2 for a little while but when I do I will come back with my thoughts
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    I admire anyone who stumps up for two products in order to compare them at their leisure.
    Well I've never done this before but as I was so impressed with the first Naim, the XS2, I wanted to see what the top Naim integrated was like against it.. I love both of them but I will only be keeping one
    Bev

Well I know it's a bit of a cliché but I'm listening to cd's I know very well and with the SN2 they sound completely different, it's like listening to a new cd

Maybe it's because I am coming from valves, I don't know, but the difference is not at all slight

I will swap back to the XS2 at some point but so enjoying the SN2 at the moment I am in no rush at all

Certainly one of the Naim's will be staying put and my other 3 amps will be sold.. and I never expected that
    Bev

I'm Shane.

Bev now believes the earth is flat

S.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Bev now believes the earth is flat

S.
    and some more
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast