+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Speakers!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    think if your sharing a livingroom and shes not "that" into music then this is a major issue. BUT, its the duty of both to compomise
    Yup, that's it in a nutshell. And if one or the other isn't willing to do that, then it's never going to work, as BOTH parties need to be HAPPY with the arrangement.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs down Never allow yourself to be 'henpecked'...

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Well maybe I've been unlucky with women...
    Nope, it's probably more that we've been lucky, or rather refused to settle for anything less, as many women are exactly as you describe. Why share your life with someone who's intent on changing you, simply to pacify her needs?

I just can't get why anyone, man or women, would tolerate being controlled like that, and merely being USED as a pawn for increasing their partner's self-worth...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

I have actively encouraged my wife to come to audition kit and get involved in the whole process.
    When i go to pick kit up at fellow enthusiast's homes i get the feeling they are always a little surprised to see my wife with me!
    They don't say that of course but it's a feeling. To be fair her ears are just as good if not better and she always tells me without emotional connection to kit what she thinks, which helps!
    From what I remember she was a little reluctant to be involved initially but she has really enjoyed the journey and it always amazes her that
    the sound evolves and actually gets 'better'. So i have involved her and the kit is now not a problem.

I think ultimately you have to recognise what makes each there happy in a relationship and if t's not destructive, embrace it for each other.
    We happen to like the kit in the living room far more than a 70 inch T.V, which i personally can't see the point in, but whatever floats your boat.
    To be honest she did give me 'The Look' when I once looked at the TVOTT Altec A7 Horn set up on the tinternet...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I have actively encouraged my wife to come to audition kit and get involved in the whole process.
    When i go to pick kit up at fellow enthusiast's homes i get the feeling they are always a little surprised to see my wife with me!
    They don't say that of course but it's a feeling. To be fair her ears are just as good if not better and she always tells me without emotional connection to kit what she thinks, which helps!
    From what I remember she was a little reluctant to be involved initially but she has really enjoyed the journey and it always amazes her that
    the sound evolves and actually gets 'better'. So i have involved her and the kit is now not a problem.

I think ultimately you have to recognise what makes each there happy in a relationship and if t's not destructive, embrace it for each other.
    We happen to like the kit in the living room far more than a 70 inch T.V, which i personally can't see the point in, but whatever floats your boat.
    To be honest she did give me 'The Look' when I once looked at the TVOTT Altec A7 Horn set up on the tinternet...
    Dont blame her
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm frank.

I drew the line at both Tannoy 215 and then Westlakes(god loves a trier though!) they were just too big. Even where folk use standmounts I often find the system support paraphenalia more objectionable tbh and I've switched to an oak unit more akin to room furniture. CD's are now stored in the loft as is most of my vinyl.

I'm Dennis.

Other than cabinet coloration with a big cabinet, which requires a lot of treatment, I have never understood a preference for standmounters over floorstanders.

They effectively take up the same space, they have less bass extension, they require stands which can be very expensive and sometimes ring, and they are also often unstable and a threat to children, with the potential for the speaker to be knocked off.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Other than cabinet coloration with a big cabinet, which requires a lot of treatment, I have never understood a preference for standmounters over floorstanders.

They effectively take up the same space, they have less bass extension, they require stands which can be very expensive and sometimes ring, and they are also often unstable and a threat to children, with the potential for the speaker to be knocked off.
    I've noticed some people seem to equate stand mounts with being fast and agile and floorstanders slow and ploddy. And they tend to assume the floorstander will automatically have deeper bass too. Whereas none of these things are connected to the floor/stand thing in any way.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Default Show Us Your Speakers!

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. You will get more scale with floorstanders, in general, but you will also have more box colouration and diffraction effects with floorstanders, in general. This is why people say that standmounts can image or ‘disappear’ better than floorstanders.

...tell that to Thiel or Avalon though.

Also, I have had two pairs of speakers now, Amphion Argon and Royd RR3, which behind a curtain you would swear are floorstanders. In comparison my Royd Sorcerers are definitely lacking at the low bass end i.e. sound like a mini monitor.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post

.... i get the feeling they are always a little surprised to see my wife with me!
    ... and to attend bake offs, we do most things together but she draws the line at flying

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both. You will get more scale with floorstanders, in general, but you will also have more box colouration and diffraction effects with floorstanders, in general. This is why people say that standmounts can image or ‘disappear’ better than floorstanders. ...tell that to Thiel or Avalon though.
    Oh yeah I forgot that one about the imaging. There are about 100 things that affect imaging and about 5 of them are to do with the speaker. Okay that may be an exaggeration but even assuming the room and positioning don't swamp everything else, every bit of the system will have some effect on the imaging ability. No-one ever deliberately designed speakers to image badly, after all*

* may also not be true
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast