+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 73 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Speakers!

I'm Chris.

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Duevel Venus from Germany, fun Omni!
    Very interesting! I can only imagine how they sound?

Russell

I'm Timothy.

Russel, I am an unapologetic Omni-speaker kind of guy, and these are simply wonderful n my room. These are very open, detailed, and have very decent bass response for a relatively smallish cabinet. Not having to sit in a sweet spot to enjoy what they offer is also a good thing in my book.

I enjoy all types of speakers, but when it comes to ones I own and enjoy the most, the Omni seems to work so well in my room that I haven't seriously considered anything else.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Russell.

Russel, I am an unapologetic Omni-speaker kind of guy, and these are simply wonderful n my room. These are very open, detailed, and have very decent bass response for a relatively smallish cabinet. Not having to sit in a sweet spot to enjoy what they offer is also a good thing in my book.

I enjoy all types of speakers, but when it comes to ones I own and enjoy the most, the Omni seems to work so well in my room that I haven't seriously considered anything else.
    They do seem to solve many placement problems. And should have a great soundstage? Many years ago I had a pair of Bose omnidirectional speakers, nowhere near as nice as yours, but I did enjoy their room filling sound.

Russell

I'm Timothy.

While they do solve some placement problems, they still require a bit of playing around with positioning like any speaker does. But once you find the location that gives an even balance, sit back and enjoy.

Some omnis can give a sense of overblown staging, pianos and vocalists mouths that seem larger than life. So far no such issues with these. Again, some of those issues can be due to positioning. The Venus do put up a very nicely detailed, musical stage.

Many years ago I dabbled with some smaller Bose, the 301. Kind of a wooly sound to it, but certainly it could sound very wide as to staging ability.

Happy July 4th too, Russel!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Dennis.

I thought the 601 the best of the three.

I'm Russell.

Default Show Us Your Speakers!

Yes I had a pair of Bose 601 Model III. With my Adcom 555 amp, which everyone said was too big, they sounded surprisingly good. Compared to the Vandersteen’s I replaced them with, they were not all that outclassed. The treble was much smoother with the Vandee’s, but the time I lived with the 601’s I was happy. Much as you describe your Omni’s about placement. I recently, (in the past three years), restored the 601’s with some much better speaker elements and sold them to a friend, who is still very happy with them.

And thank you Tim for the 4th wishes!

Russell

I'm Steve.

Default My lovely refurbished Wharfedale Dentons MK1

My lovely refurbished Wharfedale Dentons MK1

Denton cropped (2).JPG
    Steve.

I'm Timothy.

Your refurbished 601’s look nice Russel!

I'm Russell.

Your refurbished 601’s look nice Russel!
    Thanks!
    I put some Nice Goldwood speakers in, that closely matched the original specs, and are synthetic cones with rubber surrounds. And I put sealer on the tweeters, as it was near impossible to find replacements. The original crossover was nothing but a single cap! So, I put a real crossover in, and replaced the cheap terminal plate with a larger one with gold 5 way posts. And I restuffed them with poly. They sounded pretty amazing, the cabinets were fairly well made.

The original woofers dry rotted, and one a mouse chewed a hole in it! While I was using them! Just like a cartoon.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 73 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast