+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Speakers!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Buy it, try it and see if you can make it work by moving it around. Much will depend on the design of the sub (how it radiates bass directionally - the Descent was almost omni like - so placing it mid room created seriously noticeable standing waves) and if the frequency it cuts in at can be tailored to match your speakers.
    Thanks for that. Need to get my thinking cap on.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I lived in New Zealand for three years back in the 90s, and my 'local' (as in every night, being single at the time) was an Irish pub in central Wellington, in fact I ended up gigging there at one point in a band doing traditional Scottish and Irish tunes.

Anyway I remember a couple of years in, a Scottish guy showing up. Turned out he was from Motherwell which is where I originally hail from. I was well out of practice but we ended up doing the usual West of Scotland 'what school did you go to' / really asking 'what foot do you kick with' dance. When he found out I was on the green side rather than the orange, that was the end of the conversation. In fact he didn't speak to me again for the whole fortnight he was in the country. Bizarre and reminded me of one of the reasons why I left Scotland in the first place. (When I came back I moved south).
    Lol - nice story... What a tosser that guy was, and at the time too, his team would've been winning everything! I also can't stand that bigoted/sectarian nonsense, and haven't missed it since I left Glasgow either.

Here in Wales, we both share common ground against the English [joke]!

I thought you would have worked it out Marco when I indicated a wee giggle about the so, so desperately sad plight of Rangers for several years. (Or at least that was my intention).
    Yeah, but I just wanted to be sure. Don't how you could ever 'wean yourself off' something like that, if you were a true supporter. It's in my blood, so I'll go to my grave as a staunch Celtic fan!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    These are possibly the best speakers I have ever heard. Certainly the best for soundstaging, so good compared to anything else it just isn't funny. I think you can build them for a couple of grand if you have the skills and the tools. Designed for active operation though.
    Thanks Martin, that's very kind of you. Cost me about £1250 to build including having the top baffle CNC'd. But as you say they are designed for active operation only so active xover, dacs and power amps can add up, although a hypex-based Norge multichannel amp would do the job nicely I think.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    There was a commercial version floating around at Whittlebury a few years back for £20K. They were really quite good. Not flawless, but I was impressed. And I rarely am, really.
    That's interesting Justin as I'm certain that they are only available as DIY plans purchased directly from Siegfried Linkwitz or as a licensed flat pack kit from MagicLX521 in Germany and Madisound in the US.

Love those Apogee's, btw - beautiful finish and a sound to go with it!

I'm gone.

Here's a pic of the Linkwitz design at Whittlebury show, courtesy of Hifi Pig on Google images.
    They were there several years running.
    £20k as I recall it as well.
    I thought they sounded excellent.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice wide baffles there, I see.... [Winky-winky]

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post

Thanks Martin, that's very kind of you. Cost me about £1250 to build including having the top baffle CNC'd. But as you say they are designed for active operation only so active xover, dacs and power amps can add up, although a hypex-based Norge multichannel amp would do the job nicely I think.

That's interesting Justin as I'm certain that they are only available as DIY plans purchased directly from Siegfried Linkwitz or as a licensed flat pack kit from MagicLX521 in Germany and Madisound in the US.

Love those Apogee's, btw - beautiful finish and a sound to go with it!
    I'll "big up" these bad boys as well... One of the best speakers I've ever heard at any price. I heard these at a NEBO and they made every other speaker there, including some expensive and well respected models, sound like toys to be honest...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice wide baffles there, I see.... [Winky-winky]

Marco.
    Yep.
    One of the best imaging speakers I have owned were the Martin Logan CLS2z at 28 inches wide. Now that is wiiiide!

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Here's a pic of the Linkwitz design at Whittlebury show, courtesy of Hifi Pig on Google images.
    They were there several years running.
    £20k as I recall it as well.
    I thought they sounded excellent.

Aah, thanks Jerry. I remember them now, they are Linkwitz Orions, the predecessor to the LX521s and much more expensive to build. If I remember correctly they were not an "official" Linkwitz licensed build.

I'm Justin.

User211 - bringing the past to the present

Here's a video I took of them in 2012. They were nicely made and they did sound good. Unfortunately they were shot with a Samsung camera whose mics are nowhere near as good as my current Sony. Better than nowt, though.

The bass was generally pretty good but did seem to have some boomish issue, if I remember correctly, which gave the speaker a warm balance. Not such a bad thing. Definitely a good speaker in my book.

Last edited by User211; 14-09-2017 at 18:55.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yep.
    One of the best imaging speakers I have owned were the Martin Logan CLS2z at 28 inches wide. Now that is wiiiide!
    The Quad 57s are 34" wide.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast