+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Speakers!

I'm Hugo.

Currently comparing Avalon NP 2.0 floorstanders, which I’ve owned for something like 10 years, with KEF LS50s. The Avalons would normally sit on spikes or similar, and the LS50s do really sound better (to my ears) sat on their sides and placed on relatively low stands (stools) and pointed sloghtly upwards. Rather to my surprise, the Avalons do sound rather more expressive than the KEFs, but the KEFs are nevertheless astonishing little things, and being relatively inefficient are happier partners for my SuperNait2. I do find myself wondering how the Avalons would sound when driven by a nice simple little EL84 amp.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Is that effectively the home cinema system, Hugo (with one of the those excellent KEFs doing centre duties), or not where are your Tannoys?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

I agree with the concern about the proximity to corners, and the mid reflections that will inevitably produce. It is also a problem to have objects in between or in their near filed as has been discussed on the HUG site with A.S., he mentioning the BBC studio computer screens causing audible 'cavity' effects.

I always try to keep mine away from corners as much as possible and facing into the room centre so the reflections are minimised, and really they should be out in the room a bit, but that conflicts with living requirements.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Is that effectively the home cinema system, Hugo (with one of the those excellent KEFs doing centre duties), or not where are your Tannoys?

Marco.
    No, I don’t do home cinema! The closest that I get to home cinema is the cheapo Panasonic soundbase under the telly. In this picture, the Avalons, which were originally marketed for AV use, are connected up but the KEFs are not.

The Tannoys are in a friend’s mid-century furniture shop in Norwich - I’m harbouring a hope that they will come back here at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I agree with the concern about the proximity to corners, and the mid reflections that will inevitably produce. It is also a problem to have objects in between or in their near filed as has been discussed on the HUG site with A.S., he mentioning the BBC studio computer screens causing audible 'cavity' effects.

I always try to keep mine away from corners as much as possible and facing into the room centre so the reflections are minimised, and really they should be out in the room a bit, but that conflicts with living requirements.
    Indeed, and I suspect that's the problem for most folks... However, it doesn't change the fact that if you really want to hear large (ported) floor-standing speakers at their best, then they need to be out from the corners of the room and stood in free space, with *nothing* in between them, but fresh air!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    No, I don’t do home cinema! The closest that I get to home cinema is the cheapo Panasonic soundbase under the telly. In this picture, the Avalons, which were originally marketed for AV use, are connected up but the KEFs are not.

The Tannoys are in a friend’s mid-century furniture shop in Norwich - I’m harbouring a hope that they will come back here at some point.
    Ah I see. No worries. It's just that you'd posted pics of your Tannoys recently, and I couldn't work out where they were being used

Marco.
    Main System

Posted on behalf of Pharos (Dennis):

Nice

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Werner.

Marco,
    […] the speakers are rather close together, no?
    yes, of course, and they (and the amp) are too big for my small apartement, but for the moment I am happy that all my stuff eventually is here in Germany. I sincerely will move into a larger flat in six months, but after living out of suitcases and travel bags for approximately four months I just need a break until next spring.

Currently I am exhausted and tired, but nevertheless very glad to be living all alone here in the rural seclusion, to be able to breathe the air from the North Sea and to be surrounded by a beautiful landscape which I really deeply love.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Marco,
    yes, of course, and they (and the amp) are too big for my small apartement, but for the moment I am happy that all my stuff eventually is here in Germany. I sincerely will move into a larger flat in six months, but after living out of suitcases and travel bags for approximately four months I just need a break until next spring.

Currently I am exhausted and tired, but nevertheless very glad to be living all alone here in the rural seclusion, to be able to breathe the air from the North Sea and to be surrounded by a beautiful landscape which I really deeply love.

Werner.
    Epenwöhrden ... as a bit of a Germanophile I had to look that up .. I have friends in Lubeck and, indeed, in-laws in the Nordheide, but I hadn't heard of Epenwöhrden .. looks like a lovely spot. When most people think of Germany they think of the great rivers, endless forest, sub-alpine or alpine landscapes, maybe these days even the Hartz mountains, but they don't really think of it as a coastal place, but coastal it is even if it's a long way to sail a boat between the Baltic and North Sea German ports.

Can you explain this though!!!

I'm Nathan.

Same question to you, Nathan...? Lovely system, but how do you avoid bass-boom, with big floorstanders like that, designed to be used in free space, tucked into the corners like that, and so close together? Also, they'd sound much better without all that kit stuck in between them.

I presuming it's an agreed compromise to keep 'her indoors' happy?

Marco.
    I do sometime experience bass boom yes but unfortunately as you said I must keep the good lady happy too.
    I don't have any other positions free to move them so have to enjoy what I have.
    Cheers Marco,

Nathan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast