+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Definition 24/96 Music Downloads.

I'm Steve.

Default High Definition 24/96 Music Downloads.

Has anyone who isn't into classical or Jazz, actually found any download sites for high definition music?

After hunting last night, the ONLY album I managed to find was Raising Sand by Robert Plant / Alison Krauss, which HDGiants.com had in 24/96 HD.

Admittedly is does sound spectacular, even compaired to the already great CD version, but it's just wetted my appitite for other HD stuff and I just can't find things I like.

It seems to me that if you're into Pop/Rock etc. there's nothing out there.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Pop/rock (at least most of the modern mainstream stuff I've *tried* to listen to) is usually heavily compressed, robbing the music of dynamics. Hi-rez isn't gonna magically restore the dynamic range. IMO. Alison Krauss stuff is ok - at least some people do take sound quality seriously.

I do have a few master tapes of mainstream stuff without the compression, and the difference in sound quality is jaw dropping.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Pop/rock (at least most of the modern mainstream stuff I've *tried* to listen to) is usually heavily compressed, robbing the music of dynamics. Hi-rez isn't gonna magically restore the dynamic range. IMO. Alison Krauss stuff is ok - at least some people do take sound quality seriously.

I do have a few master tapes of mainstream stuff without the compression, and the difference in sound quality is jaw dropping.
    That's quite depressing....
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm ILOB.

you might find stuff you like on this site
    https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=genrelist
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    you might find stuff you like on this site
    https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=genrelist
    Cheers John, that's actually where I sound Raising Sand....

Am having a rummage on the Linn and Naim (boo! hiss!) sites to see if there's anything interesting. At least you can check out samples
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Cheers John, that's actually where I sound Raising Sand....
    Steve

If you look at the HD Tracks homepage they have a 24/96 store.

Chris

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Steve

If you look at the HD Tracks homepage they have a 24/96 store.

Chris
    Yep, that's where Raising Sand came from. Not really anything else there that I recognised, and at about £12 per album, I'm not taking stabs in the dark with being able to hear a sample.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm ILOB.

Its a bit depressing I think there is a market out there for HD with mainstream music; just not a lot of choice
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Ralph.

£12 a pop seems a bit pricey considering there is no actual physical media involved. Obviously it's early days and supply & demand 'n all that (aka screw the early adopters for all you can while you can) but even so in this day and age of 'free' P2P file sharing I would have thought pricing hi-def files, shall we say attractively, would make more sense.
    With only a tiny fraction of downloaded music actually being paid for, wouldn't you think that the music industry might try using the high quality on offer as an incentive to get people paying (something/anything) for new music again? Try asking someone under 25, say, if they would spend £12 on an album and see how long they can refrain from bursting out laughing.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    £12 a pop seems a bit pricey considering there is no actual physical media involved. Obviously it's early days and supply & demand 'n all that (aka screw the early adopters for all you can while you can) but even so in this day and age of 'free' P2P file sharing I would have thought pricing hi-def files, shall we say attractively, would make more sense.
    With only a tiny fraction of downloaded music actually being paid for, wouldn't you think that the music industry might try using the high quality on offer as an incentive to get people paying (something/anything) for new music again? Try asking someone under 25, say, if they would spend £12 on an album and see how long they can refrain from bursting out laughing.
    True, but then these are the people who want it free at 128kpbs...

Of course the thing is that while I WON'T buy lossy downloads at any price (I just buy and rip the cd lossless), I would happily buy downloads of truely hi-res music.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

+ Reply to Thread