+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IEC Power lead connection question

I'm Robert.

Default IEC Power lead connection question

I recently purchased one of these Mark Grant DSP 2.5 mains power cable https://markgrant.co.uk/mains-power/...wer-cable.html

I've connected it to my Paul Hynes power supply for the first time tonight and it feels very lose, not a firm / snug fit at all, easy to fall out which I know isnt right.

Looking at the back of the power supply, I see that the two pins sitting side by side are shorter / sit further inside, whilst the other pin is out, ahead of them.

Do I need a different type of IEC / kettle connector than the one I have ?

Yours frustratedly

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I recently purchased one of these Mark Grant DSP 2.5 mains power cable https://markgrant.co.uk/mains-power/...wer-cable.html

I've connected it to my Paul Hynes power supply for the first time tonight and it feels very lose, not a firm / snug fit at all, easy to fall out which I know isnt right.

Looking at the back of the power supply, I see that the two pins sitting side by side are shorter / sit further inside, whilst the other pin is out, ahead of them.

Do I need a different type of IEC / kettle connector than the one I have ?

Yours frustratedly
    That is intentional, the idea being that for safety reasons the earth connection is made first, and broken last.

The IEC mains connector was never a tight fit. Again that is intentional, so if the cable is pulled/tugged/yanked, the connector will disconnect easily as a whole. Otherwise the internal connections could be strained and damaged. And since many of these leads use connectors moulded onto the cable, it is not possible to check the integrity of the connections.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That is intentional, the idea being that for safety reasons the earth connection is made first, and broken last.

The IEC mains connector was never a tight fit. Again that is intentional, so if the cable is pulled/tugged/yanked, the connector will disconnect easily as a whole. Otherwise the internal connections could be strained and damaged. And since many of these leads use connectors moulded onto the cable, it is not possible to check the integrity of the connections.
    Thanks Barry, at least I now know it's ok / nothing's wrong. I've pushed it in as best as pos' and will now leave well alone. You live at learn

+ Reply to Thread