+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saying hello

I'm Richard.

Default Saying hello

Hi - looking to try a Chord 2qute after reading reviews.

I am relatively new to digital audio, having spent most of a past life in vinyl....then got distracted with other areas of life. Just rebuilt a system and want to improve an old DacMagic - coming from audirvana+tidal and an old macbook unibody.

any thoughts / comments on streamer vs dac improvements. I am driving ARCsP8 a 211 ongaku circuit SE and Heresy III speakers in a relatively large room,

Thanks,

R

I'm Rob.

Hi Richard, Welcome to another hifi-er from W Sussex (yes my location says Surrey as that is my postcode) I have one of the Hifi News modified original DacMagic's (is your's an original or one of up-sampling one's?) The HFN mods threw out all the voltage regs and most of caps and replaced them with higher quality ones (Oscon caps/Linear Technology Regulators). I have 6 Dacs and most of these accept 96kHz signals whereas the original DM only accepts up to 48kHz. I would not spend money on it as I think modern Dacs offer so much more. So far as streaming is concerned, I have been very impressed by the Google Chromecast using the OUT as a digital input to a Dac.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Richard. Welcome to AOS.

Take a look around the site, you'll find plenty to interest you and tell us what music you listen to.

For info on your DAC mods, why not start a thread in the Digital Expressions section with your questions?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...al-Expressions

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Default thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Richard, Welcome to another hifi-er from W Sussex (yes my location says Surrey as that is my postcode) I have one of the Hifi News modified original DacMagic's (is your's an original or one of up-sampling one's?) The HFN mods threw out all the voltage regs and most of caps and replaced them with higher quality ones (Oscon caps/Linear Technology Regulators). I have 6 Dacs and most of these accept 96kHz signals whereas the original DM only accepts up to 48kHz. I would not spend money on it as I think modern Dacs offer so much more. So far as streaming is concerned, I have been very impressed by the Google Chromecast using the OUT as a digital input to a Dac.

I actually have no intention of putting money into the DACMagic (by improve I should have said replace!), just want thoughts on upgrades to the source. I also wanted some thoughts on the DAC pathway and streamer pathway for the future. I will finish taming a hard and reflective room first, and then upgrading at low investment some of the cables which are basic/cheap. I am also building myself a sub for some lower frequencies (which may or may not work) although things are already better with recent work on the system. My impressions from the reviews are that I would like the 2Qute as a good s/h buy, but not sure what else there is around that price. Just streaming tidal at the moment

R

I'm Richard.

hey why 6 DACS!!

What is the rest of your system out of interest?

Richard

I'm Rob.

Why 6 Dacs?......well I am 103 years old and so have been at this game for a looooong time

My System. A lot of it is DIY and of course sounds fantastic Amps are a mixture of Gainclones, DIY Class D, DIY Class A and DIY Mosfet. Speakers are DIY Lampizator Open Baffles, EAR Primary Drive open baffles and re-conditioned Heybrook HB3's......oh and some others of course.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Ian.

Hi Richard, welcome. Lots of friendly people here and lots of knowledge too. I'm just up the road from you in Pulborough, I'm more of a vinyl fan than digital but I did recently upgrade my CD stuff and started streaming from Spotify .
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Richard.

Default I have vinyl too - just not got all my records out of storage yet

My vinyl player is an old Sondek, with a Syrinx PU2Gold (great arm if you can find one) and a Shure V15 (used to have a Koetsu, which are magical but expensive, my brother has this now). My Sp8 has noisy valves on the phono stage, so will be replacing these soon.

R

+ Reply to Thread