+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile pressings on mid-fi equipment

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why not?

Even with a conical diamond, VTA can be critical. Try a conical Decca without checking VTA and see what happens.
    Rega RB300 has no capability of VTA adjustment. So long as the cantilever on my DL-103 remains at a 15 degrees angle, I think I'll be good.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

I think you are supposed to use shims to adjust VTA with Rega arms.

Someone who knows what they are talking about might help more here.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

VTA adjusting rings and adaptors are available for that arm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

VTA adjusting rings and adaptors are available for that arm.
    Sounds like too much hassle.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm James.

Alex
    You seem to know what you like and are after in music, have chosen your kit wisely and well (IMHO), and enjoy music through it.

You also know the answer to your original question, at least for yourself, so this thread is in the spirit of a minor wind up I assume?

My tuppence worth is that modern issues of modern recordings can stand a good chance of competing on a level field with original pressings of a previous era, but audiophile reissues are hobbled by age and condition of source material and pressing machinery, likely market size, and the emotional baggage which the engineers cannot avoid. For example their own experiences and expectations for the reissued sound, the decades of cultural analysis (this guitar too quiet on American pressing x, too much reverb on German issue y, the problems of improving on what is commonly perceived as 'perfection' by the likely purchasers, &c). Original issue engineers are free of this, they must concentrate on producing a master that will be popular with their target audience.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Sounds like too much hassle.
    Stick with digital then, TT's need to be set up just right to get the best out of each component, even the very best TT will sound like a bag of hammers if it's not set up correctly.
    setting the VTA with shims is quite simple, you can get them online quite easily and they usually come in packs with a few different thicknesses, I bought a pack and over the course of an afternoon set my cart alignment and VTA. I set the VTA by ear, adding shims then sticking a record on and seeing if I could hear any sonic improvements, I ended up with a 3mm shim on my deck.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Stick with digital then, TT's need to be set up just right to get the best out of each component, even the very best TT will sound like a bag of hammers if it's not set up correctly.
    setting the VTA with shims is quite simple, you can get them online quite easily and they usually come in packs with a few different thicknesses, I bought a pack and over the course of an afternoon set my cart alignment and VTA. I set the VTA by ear, adding shims then sticking a record on and seeing if I could hear any sonic improvements, I ended up with a 3mm shim on my deck.
    Awesome, thanks for the pointers

Since I'm a vinyl newbie, I really don't have much experience in those matters. Some people told me that since I'm a big fan of Denon DL-103 cartridge (conical stylus), messing with VTA ain't going to buy me a lot of perceivable difference in sonics. It is only once one goes with elliptical/Shibata that VTA makes a noticeable difference. Would you agree with that?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    It is only once one goes with elliptical/Shibata that VTA makes a noticeable difference. Would you agree with that?
    No.

The audible effects of innacurate VTA may be less extreme with a conical tip than they are with advanced profiles, but they still exist.

I don't understand the apparent resistance to experimenting with VTA, or at least establishing that it is correct. It's not a hard job with a Rega arm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Alex
    You seem to know what you like and are after in music, have chosen your kit wisely and well (IMHO), and enjoy music through it.

You also know the answer to your original question, at least for yourself, so this thread is in the spirit of a minor wind up I assume?

My tuppence worth is that modern issues of modern recordings can stand a good chance of competing on a level field with original pressings of a previous era, but audiophile reissues are hobbled by age and condition of source material and pressing machinery, likely market size, and the emotional baggage which the engineers cannot avoid. For example their own experiences and expectations for the reissued sound, the decades of cultural analysis (this guitar too quiet on American pressing x, too much reverb on German issue y, the problems of improving on what is commonly perceived as 'perfection' by the likely purchasers, &c). Original issue engineers are free of this, they must concentrate on producing a master that will be popular with their target audience.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Great points, James. I was originally referring to the audiophile reissues of older pressings (as in the '50s, '60s, '70s records). Some claim that the remastered reissues cannot match a good original pressing. My limited experiences with so-called 'audiophile' reissues tend to agree; however, I must admit that I haven't had a chance to do any significant comparisons, so in my case it's all anecdotal.

My go-to example in these matters is the Beatles "Abbey Road". I have the 2012 180 gram remastered LP (made in Germany), which indeed sounds a bit dull and lifeless compared to my original 1969 Canadian pressing of "Abbey Road". Similar impressions when I compare the 2012 reissue of the White Album with several old pressings I happen to own. Old pressings seem to have more energy, more oomph, they deliver more music.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

No.

The audible effects of innacurate VTA may be less extreme with a conical tip than they are with advanced profiles, but they still exist.

I don't understand the apparent resistance to experimenting with VTA, or at least establishing that it is correct. It's not a hard job with a Rega arm.
    OK, I guess it's time I start spending my time with VTA.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast