+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile pressings on mid-fi equipment

I'm Alex.

Default Audiophile pressings on mid-fi equipment

My analogue front end is mid-fi (at best). Denon DL-103 mounted on Rega RB300 arm on Systemdek IIX turntable isn't going to turn any heads, that's for sure.

What's my point? I've heard theories that so-called 'audiophile' pressings sound good on mid-fi equipment, but as the audio chain gets better, those same audiophile pressings start sounding crappier and crappier. I haven't had a chance to verify this urban myth with my own ears, so I'm curious to learn if anyone here feels there is some truth to that?

My personal experience is, overall, I tend to enjoy original, or early pressings better than I enjoy audiophile reissues. It's hard to generalize, of course, but I somehow feel that good early pressings seem to contain more musical energy than the newly minted audiophile reissues (I'm talking classic rock/jazz catalog here; but the same logic applies to classical/world music of course). Good old pressings always get my blood pumping, while most of the time their audiophile reissues, while sounding very nice and warm and all that, often fail to get me going emotionally.

And I'm getting that distinction from the mid-fi system. I cannot help but wonder if my impressions would change should I go up the totem pole and upgrade my system to a much pricier high-end hi fi?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Peter.

A great analogy...it's not always about how much money you pay for high end stuff. Going up the totem pole as you put it, is not the answer.

Maybe one out of ten albums are fab!!! It really don't matter how expensive you kit is .... I have strived for years to get the best vinyl kit, but still disappointed... 2k cartridges/3k arms/ 5k TT's ain't the answer.
    It's a matter of what does it for you!!!!

We all have our own perception of what's good, unfortunately the black stuff is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Hang in there!!!!! Some recordings are shockingly good..... others or not. ..

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

Not sure what you're getting at here, maybe thinking too much about it...

Far as I am concerned, if it sounds good it's good and will sound good on any system. I've had loads of quality pressings over recent years, it's just that many are not that great, either because of poor sources, bad mastering or bad pressing.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at here, maybe thinking too much about it...

Far as I am concerned, if it sounds good it's good and will sound good on any system. I've had loads of quality pressings over recent years, it's just that many are not that great, either because of poor sources, bad mastering or bad pressing.
    What I'm getting at is whether the urban myth that 'audiophile' pressings are not all that great as the marketing claims do have some merit? If indeed that's the case, then it may save me a lot of money which I could then spend on less expensive old pressings.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    What I'm getting at is whether the urban myth that 'audiophile' pressings are not all that great as the marketing claims do have some merit? If indeed that's the case, then it may save me a lot of money which I could then spend on less expensive old pressings.
    In my personal opinion, I would say they are not what they claim to be (most of the time - some are done very well). 180g for a start is a load of bull, 120g or 140g is perfectly fine but the labels/industry tout it like it's gotta be 180g or it's trash. I would advise that you just try to research before purchasing these reissues as it could help save hassle and money buying any that are badly done.

The problem right now with older pressings is that they're commanding premium prices too (especially if in good condition) due to this vinyl 'boom'. It's a minefield out there. It has taken me ages to find all the 80's Iron Maiden original UK pressings in decent condition - and most of those cost me £20-30 a piece. Lots of trashed copies out there and people not grading properly.

I'm Steve.

Some of my thinnest original records give the best aural experience

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
    Some of my thinnest original records give the best aural experience
    I agree. The thickness of the record has zero connection with the sound quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    A great analogy...it's not always about how much money you pay for high end stuff. Going up the totem pole as you put it, is not the answer.

Maybe one out of ten albums are fab!!! It really don't matter how expensive you kit is .... I have strived for years to get the best vinyl kit, but still disappointed... 2k cartridges/3k arms/ 5k TT's ain't the answer.
    It's a matter of what does it for you!!!!

We all have our own perception of what's good, unfortunately the black stuff is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Hang in there!!!!! Some recordings are shockingly good..... others or not. ..

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quite possibly the wisest post I've read in quite a while, Peter

We're completely at the mercy of the producer/engineers/technicians in the studio, the mastering facility and the pressing plant ... any one of those guys has an off-day and things go down-hill rapidly. I mean, what are the chances that some vibrations in the air, captured fifty years ago in California, can be accurately reproduced in my living room today? Considering the intervening electronic and mechanical transducers, not to mention the ears and biases of the operators, it's a miracle we ever get anything approaching decent fidelity from vinyl.

I reckon it's pretty much pot-luck whether a recording or pressing gets it spot-on. IME, buying vinyl is basically gambling ... you can slightly improve the odds by diligent research, maybe. Re-issues can be improvements, but probably half of them ain't imo, especially some of the 're-mastered' ones. I suspect that the knowledge needed to produce top-quality vinyl left the industry decades ago, the guys who really knew what they were doing. In my case, I buy re-issues if they are my only viable choice, or if they are 45rpm LPs (which I find really does make a difference). Otherwise, I actually quite enjoy/prefer the 'hunt' for good, used ones.

I'm Grant.

Less likely to warp, and being heavier vibration will be reduced a bit but its no guarantee of better sound; in fact it could be worse if your vta is altered. Mostly tho, its the mastering and cutting that makes the difference.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

The best vinyl I have purchased recently has been a Direct to Disc recording on the Umbrella label, same as this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UMB-DD6-Mo...3D370664050796

£1 at the charity shop, no tape involved in the recording process, the quality of sound is stunning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast