+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Audiophile pressings on mid-fi equipment

I'm James.

I would have thought you could adjust the VTA without fiddling with the cartridge? FWIW my own limited experience of this is from my Io2 in an Audio Note arm, complex geometry tip and a slightly awkward VTA adjustment. I suggest if you can be bothered to follow through that you move in sizeable increments first. If no difference then ignore. If it makes a difference tweak to perfection. Don't get hung up on 0.25mm here and there though, that way lies madness...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I would have thought you could adjust the VTA without fiddling with the cartridge? FWIW my own limited experience of this is from my Io2 in an Audio Note arm, complex geometry tip and a slightly awkward VTA adjustment. I suggest if you can be bothered to follow through that you move in sizeable increments first. If no difference then ignore. If it makes a difference tweak to perfection. Don't get hung up on 0.25mm here and there though, that way lies madness...

Is it really the case that people fiddle with VTA for EACH record they intend to play?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

some do, although they would likely be able to dial it in. its maybe a bit anal but if thats what rocks their boats..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    some do, although they would likely be able to dial it in. its maybe a bit anal but if thats what rocks their boats..
    Amazing. I doubt my system has sufficient resolution to let me hear the differences in various VTAs.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I would have thought you could adjust the VTA without fiddling with the cartridge?
    I was advised to make sure I remove the cartridge each time I have to modify VTA on my tonearm.

Alex.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I was advised to make sure I remove the cartridge each time I have to modify VTA on my tonearm.
    Not usually necessary if the arm has a secure rest. I have never removed the cart, nor would I, too much trouble. My Io2 is dialled in and the VTA amounts to an arm positioned slightly below horizontal. I have not found a 'magic point' for it. My SPU is set up with the arm level and without further effort it sounds fab. Not sure I can be bothered to experiment there... Like I say, big changes then recursively smaller until too bored to care.
    Good luck with the process!

I'm jamie.

why?? no wonder your not keen to experiment with vta if some loons told you that.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    why?? no wonder your not keen to experiment with vta if some loons told you that.
    I guess the reason is that I'm using Rega RB300 tonearm, which does not come with any VTA adjustment mechanism, only shims that must be purchased separately. So if I am to completely remove the arm in order to install the shims, my Denon DL-103 cartridge could get borked in the process, so it's better to be on the safe side and remove it altogether. At least this is my reading.

Alex.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I guess the reason is that I'm using Rega RB300 tonearm, which does not come with any VTA adjustment mechanism, only shims that must be purchased separately. So if I am to completely remove the arm in order to install the shims, my Denon DL-103 cartridge could get borked in the process, so it's better to be on the safe side and remove it altogether. At least this is my reading.
    Pete Riggle http://www.vtaf.com/vtafdescription.html
    You can lead a horse to water ....
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Nat.

I have found that 'Audiophile' pressings by companies like Analogue Productions and Mobile Fidelity and I have a few are a great alternative to ridiculously priced original pressings but if you can get an original 1st press cheaper than one of these 'AUDIOPHILE' pressings then I would go for that. Of course there are exceptions the MUSIC MATTERS Blue Note reissues (the cheaper single 33rpm ones) are exceptional.
    Bog standard 180 gram so called audiophile pressings are not what they claim infact some are terrible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast