+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Help...Sort or Skip

I'm Adam.

Default Speaker Help...Sort or Skip

I was given these speakers by a friend of a friend.
    The were aparentley custom built in the 60's, for a classical musician.
    They are amazingly heavy ..at least 75 kg each!
    Well braced and pretty well built, bit tatty though.
    I had to take the old front cloth off and ditch, they do not have removable Panels on the front.

Anyway they have 2 Bass drivers (only visible when I took the front cloth off, as they have a divided panel
    that runs from the bottom to near the top inside and the drivers are fixed to the front baffle)
    I think these are KEF B139 Woffers but I'm not sure as i can't get access to the back of them. They seem in tact and not perished.

They have a Compressed Horn Mid and a tweeter that fires upwards..
    The Crossover box is a big wood box in each Cab, Goodmans x0.950

I connected them (to a 300b PP Amp) up and all works fine but the bass is lacking and the tops are shrilly!

Thoughts?
    Is it worth chucking dosh at this project or skip?
    I feel obliged to get them singing..

pictures are on the link below as I am unsure how to embed them on AoS site.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151702904@N08/508e22
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Have a chat with Paul Baldwin at reelaudio. He use to work at Goodmans in Wembley probably around the time those speakers were made. Maybe he has something info that is helpfull.

Send my regards if you chat with him.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

The crossover being a 15 ohm design will not work properly with the 8 ohm KEF B139 bass drivers unless they are in series. Then you'd have very low bass efficiency, which is maybe why the speakers sound shrill. You could try a 15/16 ohm attenuator ('L' Pad) with the mids to reduce output and restore some kind of balance and try the same with the tweeter (which looks like a Celestion HF1300). A better alternative might be to find a pair of sensitive 15/16 ohm bass drivers to bung in instead of the KEFs.

I doubt they're going to sound great whatever you do. I don't like the Midax mid horn. It's pretty coloured and a bit brash.

If you give up, the drive units will sell OK.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Cheers Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Have a chat with Paul Baldwin at reelaudio. He use to work at Goodmans in Wembley probably around the time those speakers were made. Maybe he has something info that is helpfull.

Send my regards if you chat with him.

Sent via Tapatalk

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Thanks Geoff..

I'm Paul.

Try Keith mf1000 on the wam (maybe here or PF too?), he's built some speakers based on those drivers. I'd love to say they sound pants to wind him up but they don't....
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Andrew.

Stripping them for parts is definitely a solution. As said already the drivers will sell easily and are simpler to package and post than complete cabs.
    That said I'd want to hear them with a bit of power through them before binning them.

I'm Andy.

I just couldn't break up a pair of speakers or any bit of kit for spares. Just feels utterly wrong to me.

I'm Andrew.

If parts from two faulty speakers can be combined to make one good speaker it only makes good sense.

I'm Geoff.

Unfortunately, the B139 bass units have a limited range of applications, they are best suited to use below 500 Hz. The Midax mids are not great for Hi-Fi, they have obvious colourations and are a bit coarse, their sensitivity is too high to work with the KEF's. They'd be fine for DJ use though. The HF1300 tweeters can sound very good in the right context.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast