+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is Neutrality?

I'm Howard.

Default What is Neutrality?

Galen Carol Audio offers some thoughts:

The term neutrality is pervasive in the world of audio. We often use the word when describing a component or a system, and most audiophiles agree on the definition: A neutral component or system neither adds nor subtracts from the music it seeks to convey, allowing the signal to flow through unencumbered, faithfully reproducing whatever is in the recording. We’re all looking for that neutral component or system, but does it actually exist?

In my view it isn’t possible for one to accurately assess neutrality, and even if you could would others agree with your findings? What sounds neutral to one person may not to the next? I believe neutrality is sort of a sliding scale and different for each listener, thus neutrality is a concept that can only be defined in a given system by a given listener.

Let us start at the beginning; the recorded music we look to reproduce. If we are to .......
    http://www.hifianswers.com/2017/08/d...utrality-html/
    Well, hello.

I'm Geoff.

Neutrality surely requires, minimal response irregularites, distortion and colouration?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    Galen Carol Audio offers some thoughts:

http://www.hifianswers.com/2017/08/d...utrality-html/
    From the perspective of an absolutist there is little to disagree with in the article. Being a pragmatist, however, I consider it possible to arrive at a working definition of neutrality that is context specific (system and listening environment) rather than universal. In my own context, neutrality amounts to an audio representation (music and voice) that across multiple genres, and recordings of the same piece (whether recorded live or in a studio setting) and irrespective of the source (vinyl, CD/SACD and FM/DAB in my case) maintains the inherent sonic, spatial and ambient relationships between vocalists, musicians and their instruments. At best, this results in an emotionally engaging listening experience in which one is able to appreciate the performance as a whole and, when the occasion demands, focus on its constituent parts. Perceived deviations from neutrality may reflect changes in one's mood (temporary), or be inherent in the recording chain (fixed), whether by accident or design.

With the above in mind, I feel that this year I have come closer to achieving 'neutrality' with the replacement of my long-serving and refurbished (courtesy of the wonderfully talented and decidedly personable Paul at RFC) KEF Reference Series Ones with ELAC FS267s (not the easiest of loudspeakers to find and audition in the U.K., but worth seeking out, IMHO).

Just my take on the issue raised in the article and I'm not so presumptuous (foolhardy?) as to believe that it might chime with that of more than a small minority (although hopefully > 1) of AOS members.

Jon

+ Reply to Thread