+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If the left-hand channel was dropping out the cartridge is faulty. Also, looking at the photo, there is a lot of ferrous detritus sticking to the pole pieces, which is not good.

Deccas of that vintage are/were capricious and contrary beasts. I've have/had several of them (still have four, of various types) and owing to the appallingly poor quality control employed at the time, no two Deccas (even those having the same stylus profile) sound the same. A friend of mine who used to run a Decca Blue (he now uses an Ortofon Bronze (?)), used to lust after my Blue, because it sounded better. I used to have three Blues - they were all of different quality: good, bad and indifferent.

Yes - there will be a "what if" moment, but content yourself that you have tried one of the better Deccas out there and heard its good points as well as its less than good points, and decided for yourself.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If the left-hand channel was dropping out the cartridge is faulty. Also, looking at the photo, there is a lot of ferrous detritus sticking to the pole pieces, which is not good.

Deccas of that vintage are/were capricious and contrary beasts. I've have/had several of them (still have four, of various types) and owing to the appallingly poor quality control employed at the time, no two Deccas (even those having the same stylus profile) sound the same. A friend of mine who used to run a Decca Blue (he now uses an Ortofon Bronze (?)), used to lust after my Blue, because it sounded better. I used to have three Blues - they were all of different quality: good, bad and indifferent.

Yes - there will be a "what if" moment, but content yourself that you have tried one of the better Deccas out there and heard its good points as well as its less than good points, and decided for yourself.
    Wise words.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

ALL Decca cartridges are a nightmare!!!

It's so easy to dislodge a coil, or for some reason cause a breakage in coil wires. I don't know why. Even used in a tonearm designed for them (NAS Mentor deck and arm), it didn't stop terminal distortion in my Micro-scanner caused by the 'top-magnet' coming unstuck and a coil breaking free. Took ten years after failure for me to finally get it repaired and bloody hell, once it was working right again it was absolute heaven.

I think it fair to say that with ANY Decca ownership of ANY age, it should be borne in mind that failures almost certainly will occur. Part of the so-called 'heaven and hell' of Decca ownership.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The Alphason arm on a Rock is crying out for a medium-ish compliance moving coil. Dynavevtor 17d OT AT33-PTG mkii would be ideal. Or an Ortofon Cadenza or NOS Kontrapunkt.

If you want to stay MM then an audio note IQ2 or 3.
    Or a Reson Reca.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Alphason 100S is SUPERB with a Podded Decca Export with VDH retip. A customer had one once on a Gyrodec of all things and it's the first time I ever heard a Gyro hold pitch and 'time' properly with rock-solid imaging. Very impressive I thought!

Brilliant thing with the Hr100S is that it'll happily take almost anything you put in it within reason - and it'll never get in the way...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Alphason 100S is SUPERB with a Podded Decca Export with VDH retip. A customer had one once on a Gyrodec of all things and it's the first time I ever heard a Gyro hold pitch and 'time' properly with rock-solid imaging. Very impressive I thought!

Brilliant thing with the Hr100S is that it'll happily take almost anything you put in it within reason - and it'll never get in the way...
    One of the arms on eBay now.

I'm jamie.

nearly the 18th, Jw is back from holiday and this is being sent off lively for a retip!
    cant bloody wait.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Thought you'd sent this back?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

long story... but yes i did, but due to the issues and it needing a retip i bought it back at a very nice discount.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    long story... but yes i did, but due to the issues and it needing a retip i bought it back at a very nice discount.
    Haha, sweet. Nothing like a discount. Now, how do I get a discount on those speaker stands you're making?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast