+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    that will do nicely!
    1 slight concern is the last sentence,not to be used with ferrous tt's, guess what the plinth is made of on the rock2
    Should be plaster? That's where the name comes from (the Plaster of Paris platter and filling inside the framework, that gives it its weight.

I'm Geoff.

The sensitivity to hum varies with older Deccas. I found it not too bad. The Rock has a thin 'skin' of steel filled with a hard plaster like material If I'm correct (similar to the Opus 3 Continuo), so the amount of steel may not be anough to cause problems.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

Yes it's only the plinth that has the metal skin, the platter will be fine
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

it should be here tomorrow,any tips on alignment,with it having no cantilever as such do you just align the diamond?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

DECCA carts are something magical, I remember getting my Maroon back from John Wright and being completely bowled over. I now have a DECCA II and a 78 and they all have something to offer.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

The top of the body is flat and should be parallel to the record when the stylus is lowered. Some experimentation with arm height may still be useful though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Alignment can be challenging as the diamond can be very difficult to see on an alignment template. On the Rock this is compounded by the paddle arrangement. It may just fall into place, or like my retipped Blue on my Rock, take the best part of an hour to achieve success.

Good luck!

I'm jamie.

oooh its here!
    first impressions are its big and heavy, luckily ive got another counterweight because the standard alphason hasn't got enough weight.
    i had to go to get some more cartridge mounting bolts too.25mm just does it.

strangely reminiscent in shape of the 2m black

ok so let the set up fun begin!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Ian.

Loving your work Sir James
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast