Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Not heard the ZYX but it is on my list!
    Come and listen to my Z100

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The nearest cartridge to the Deccas sound that I've come across is my ZYX R100 02 H (the ZYX has the edge! ).
    i found the opposite in my system hence why i had the decca re tipped.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i found the opposite in my system hence why i had the decca re tipped.
    Not sure if you had the R100 or R100 02 Jamie. They sound different. I have both. I find the 02 H has the speed and tightness of the Deccas.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

ah good point,its what alan is now using.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

ah good point,its what alan is now using.
    Wish I'd never sold it now after the disaster with its replacement

I'm jamie.

it will come right for you mike,has the decca gone off yet?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

it will come right for you mike,has the decca gone off yet?
    John would have received it on Friday past, so don't think it'll be too long before it's back.

I'm jamie.

cool,mine was a little over a week from start to finish,are you having a retip or just a check up?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

cool,mine was a little over a week from start to finish,are you having a retip or just a check up?
    Just a check up as I'm not sure why I'm getting a low output, it's been like that since I bought it, but having tried 3 different pre amps and 2 different phono stages it was still the same, so figured I'd get it checked. If I'd thought the buying the an issue I'd have sent that back too. Anyone I asked pointed to a mismatch between phono stage and pre but I wasn't sure, the MC side of things was perfect, in fact it was 3x the volume of the MM side I did also ask Alan about the Fuji and the distortion I was getting, he blamed the cartridge, he was right, as the next MM I tried sounded fine so it had to be the Fuji, I always doubted it from the beginning but you know how you think you hear something, but next hour or day, it's fine, then it would rear it's ugly head again. So it went back for a refund, which the seller was very good about considering I'd bought it over a month ago.

I've also said to let me know of any potential upgrades worth doing at the same time, no point getting it back to send again at a later date.

Refund for the Fuji should hit my PayPal account on the 25th, that one is being sent for a checkup by the seller too. So he'll let me know the outcome once it's been checked with the chance to buy back if it's fixed, but I think that's unlikely.

The problem with the Decca was the main reason I gave up Ali's Slagle, if it turns out the Decca is faulty then I've shot myself in the foot ( for the 3rd time in a very costly month ) because I sent the Slagle for Oliver to try and he bought it so I now also need to find a decent Pre. The Xiang DAC/Pre is only a stopgap until something better comes along.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Just a check up as I'm not sure why I'm getting a low output, it's been like that since I bought it, but having tried 3 different pre amps and 2 different phono stages it was still the same, so figured I'd get it checked. If I'd thought the buying the an issue I'd have sent that back too. Anyone I asked pointed to a mismatch between phono stage and pre but I wasn't sure, the MC side of things was perfect, in fact it was 3x the volume of the MM side I did also ask Alan about the Fuji and the distortion I was getting, he blamed the cartridge, he was right, as the next MM I tried sounded fine so it had to be the Fuji, I always doubted it from the beginning but you know how you think you hear something, but next hour or day, it's fine, then it would rear it's ugly head again. So it went back for a refund, which the seller was very good about considering I'd bought it over a month ago.

I've also said to let me know of any potential upgrades worth doing at the same time, no point getting it back to send again at a later date.

Refund for the Fuji should hit my PayPal account on the 25th, that one is being sent for a checkup by the seller too. So he'll let me know the outcome once it's been checked with the chance to buy back if it's fixed, but I think that's unlikely.

The problem with the Decca was the main reason I gave up Ali's Slagle, if it turns out the Decca is faulty then I've shot myself in the foot ( for the 3rd time in a very costly month ) because I sent the Slagle for Oliver to try and he bought it so I now also need to find a decent Pre. The Xiang DAC/Pre is only a stopgap until something better comes along.
    Oh man! You've defo shot yourself in the foot because the Slagle is one wonderful bit of kit and the case it's in is ridiculously well built. I am having a great time currently and the sounds are the best I've heard in my system.

Don't despair, new autoformers are only £180 ($200). Ali has done such a good job of this one that I'd be asking him to build one if I were you.

I think you possibly haven't got the best from that Vivant either. The ZYX cart I have does distort quite often. A clean of the stylus usually sorts that out though. I use the "little green paper" it's very good.

Stay the course and you'll get there. The Decca is probably well worth having retipped and serviced. You're in a good place to end up with stunning vinyl replay.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast