+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linn Axis versus LP12 with same arm

I'm Richard.

Default Linn Axis versus LP12 with same arm

I’ve owned a Linn Axis with original Akito arm for close to 30 years. The only change in this time, apart from cartridges is to have a Hercules PSU fitted after the original supply failed.
    I bought the Axis at the time mainly because I couldn’t afford a new LP 12.
    So I am wondering what improvement I would get, if any, if I was to buy a second hand LP12 and fit my Akito to it.
    Has anyone compared an Axis to a LP12 with the same arm fitted? I realise there are various levels of LP12 available but would be interested in what Linn fans think.

Cheers,

Richard
    Analogue: Linn LP12/Keel/Karmen/Karousel/Tranquility/Radikal/Trampolin 2/Collaro mat/Ekos SE/Audio Technica ART-1000 into Gold Note PH-10/PSU-10

Digital: Cyrus CD XT Signature into Border Patrol SE DAC

Amplification: Modwright LS36.5 pre into Modwright KW150SE

Speakers: Boenicke W8

Interconnects: Reference Fidelity Saturn and Oriton Orange Symphony

Speaker Cabling: Townshend Isolda

Headphones HD600

Mains: Various MCRU kits/Russ Andrews Power Cords/X Block

RCM: Velvet Vortex Ultrasonic

I'm Dave.

The Axis was Linn's budget turntable of that time and clearly outclassed by the LP12. We certainly never had any problems selling an LP12 against the Axis.

Maybe you could get to hear an LP12 for yourself and then you will know.

I'm Adam.

Agree with Dave, you will need to pick your price point, find a deck and go and listen. With the many variations of spec involved with the LP12, I don't think you will find your definitive answer as it's pretty open ended. If you are at that cross roads in decisions, why not consider another TT route
    away from a belt driven deck? Besides, what are you looking for from your vinyl front end? What is it the Axis isn't doing for you?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Gary.

I think there was a lot of snob appeal to the LP12, with a touch of witch craft to set up. In the early days turntables were perhaps situated on sideboards hence the appeal of suspension I guess.

On a stable surface I believe with the Akito set up correctly you would be pushed to hear a big, if any difference. Unless you are careful the Akito bearings can be trashed, later ones had a spring before the screw to secure vertical adjustment.

I have an Axis and Basic with Akito's, they both have been stiffened and serviced, in line probably with LP12 modifications that are profligate.

I would suggest you use your own ears to have a listen, you may be surprised.

Only my opinion though!

montesquieu Guest

The Axis had an ingenious motor/PSU arrangement IIRC which lifted its performance compared to earlier LP12s, but it was swings and roundabouts as fell short compared to the LP12 in the suspension and bearing department.

I ran both at one point in different rooms. In those days you could pick them up with an Akito arm for less than £100. (Having said that a Garrard 301 would have been even less than that, if you could persuade someone to take it off your hands). My LP12 at the time was a classic pre-circus, tiktok, valhalla job with an AT OC9 ... in a direct comparison using my even then rather cheesey 80s Denon amp and smallish Tannoys it was clearly a cut above the Axis/Akito/K18, just more detailed and refined, a proper hifi turntable.

Though in another room with an old silver Pioneer amp for £20 out of a Weston Super Mare junk shop and some Gale 2is from Richer Sounds in Bristol, the Axis sounded pretty good!.

I'm Andy.

I do think you'd get a worthwhile improvement although the LP12 needs more care with setup and siting to realise the benefits. I'd also recommend you avoid a Valhalla LP12 when you've had a Hercules. Valhalla is a weak point for me. Try a Hercules or Lingo LP12.

The Axis always sounded more speed stable than a Valhalla LP12 to me and yes, I have owned them side by side, albeit with different arms.

The advantage of changing will be heard most in the authority and scale the LP12 commands compared to the Axis. Of course, you don't just have to consider the LP12. Other decks out there will also better the Axis. It's still a decent deck though, especially when it has an Akito.

I'm Richard.

Thanks everyone. I am also a Wammer and plan to go to Kegworth in March. Hopefully someone will have an LP12 I can hear and then make my mind up.
    Last edited by Dickchy; 11-01-2018 at 13:12.
    Analogue: Linn LP12/Keel/Karmen/Karousel/Tranquility/Radikal/Trampolin 2/Collaro mat/Ekos SE/Audio Technica ART-1000 into Gold Note PH-10/PSU-10

Headphones HD600

I'm Jason.

My 2 pennorth, as I had the self same setup a long time ago. Axis/Akito to LP12, the LP12 came with a Basik Plus IIRC which I swapped over.

So the Axis/Akito was quite lean sounding - not thin, but tight and precise (compared to the AR deck that preceded it) with a narrower soundstage. Moving to the LP12 opened this up a lot, seemingly deeper and wider which, in turn, gave everything a bit more room to breathe. So I agree with the comment about it being overall a more mature sound. Though I did feel the LP12 was a little on the back foot, rhythmically speaking, compared to the Axis. LP12 was a classic pre-Circus/Valhalla combo (still my favourite flavour of LP12) that was enhanced by the arrival of an Ittok II.

I'd have a chat to Peter at Cymbiosis. He will steer you well.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Richard.

Thanks Jason. Just the sort of comments I was looking for. Coincidentally I’ve just arranged an audition of LP12s at Cymbiosis as I’m going to Kegworth for the Wam event and they are nearby. I will then make a decision on what level of LP12 I want to go with though still hoping to swop my Akito/Hercules on to an LP12 to keep costs down.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Richard

Headphones HD600

I'm Richard.

Thanks Jason. Just the sort of comments I was looking for. Coincidentally I’ve just arranged an audition of LP12s at Cymbiosis as I’m going to Kegworth for the Wam event and they are nearby. I will then make a decision on what level of LP12 I want to go with though still hoping to swop my Akito/Hercules on to an LP12 to keep costs down.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Richard

Headphones HD600

+ Reply to Thread