+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    no!!!! thats for testing only,you just use 1 earth tag. thats your problem right there paul.
    Thank god for that. People are saying the coils could be open circuit etc. I did wonder why there was the green sleeve on the terminal. Should have asked you first
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I said this 7 posts back.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Sorry Oliver, didn't read it properly,
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm jamie.

have a look here,

you use only one earth tag,i used green but either is fine,you can also blue tak the 2 earths together and just plug 1 in,i tried both ways,i didnt make a difference,i had no hum issues using just 1 earth.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Sorry Oliver, didn't read it properly,
    I know. Not to worry.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    have a look here,

you use only one earth tag,i used green but either is fine,you can also blue tak the 2 earths together and just plug 1 in,i tried both ways,i didnt make a difference,i had no hum issues using just 1 earth.
    Makes sense now, I didn't think the gold was like that. Didn't have any problems when I tried one

Bigman80 Guest

Makes sense now, I didn't think the gold was like that. Didn't have any problems when I tried one
    They all use the three pin from that era I believe. At least it's sorted now and you can get it up and running!!

I'm paul.

I soldered the two ground wires together and set the cart up in the headshell, set vtf to 1.8 grams, played several albums and the sound improved as the cart warmed up. Room was very cold until the heater took control. Played a test record and checked bias. Then checked arm/cart resonance, cart wobbled at 9hz, what do I need to do. To start vocals on abbey road sounded harsh so I played several half speed mastered albums and some others, drums sound so real it's fantastic.

Bigman80 Guest

I soldered the two ground wires together and set the cart up in the headshell, set vtf to 1.8 grams, played several albums and the sound improved as the cart warmed up. Room was very cold until the heater took control. Played a test record and checked bias. Then checked arm/cart resonance, cart wobbled at 9hz, what do I need to do. To start vocals on abbey road sounded harsh so I played several half speed mastered albums and some others, drums sound so real it's fantastic.
    IMO Decca's are a "bit of fun" that can't be a daily driver. The vocals will be harsh on some records, they'll be beautiful on another. The bass will disappear on one and then reappear on another and so on. They are excellent at percussion though. No argument there. Results will vary depending on the vinyl. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad it's awful.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    IMO Decca's are a "bit of fun" that can't be a daily driver. The vocals will be harsh on some records, they'll be beautiful on another. The bass will disappear on one and then reappear on another and so on. They are excellent at percussion though. No argument there. Results will vary depending on the vinyl. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad it's awful.

would you say that not so good vinyl won't show itself as poor with other carts. A bit like lowthers, they take no prisoners but are amazing when the source and amplifier is right. I once had PX25 mono's with lowthers, for up to an hour they sounded thin and harsh, then something magical happened, the Decca seems to be just like that.

Bigman80 Guest

would you say that not so good vinyl won't show itself as poor with other carts. A bit like lowthers, they take no prisoners but are amazing when the source and amplifier is right. I once had PX25 mono's with lowthers, for up to an hour they sounded thin and harsh, then something magical happened, the Decca seems to be just like that.
    I'd say the Decca's will accurately demonstrate what's in the groove. If the Vinyl is a poor cut, that's what you'll get and it's merciless. Other carts are kinder to bad vinyl imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast