+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca C4E cartridge

I'm Bernard.

Nice story Jamie.
    I love my SC4E. Bought it a few years ago after reading Charlie’s reviews. Thanks Charlie!
    B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm jamie.

out of interest berni,what do you track yours at?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    out of interest berni,what do you track yours at?
    Settled at 1.75 grs as recommended by the manual.
    B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

VTF IMO depends both on the Decca model and with the profile of stylus fitted. In my experience (so not necessarily definitive), with my Deccas used in an arm with light damping, I have found:

Decca Mk. III (elliptical stylus): 2.5g

Decca Mk. IV (SC4E): 1.75g

Decca Mk. V (Blue, spherical stylus): 3.0g

Decca Mk. VI (elliptical stylus): 1.5g

It sholuld be remembered that there was enormous sample-to-sample variation of Deccas (in quality and performance) up to the introduction of the Decca Jubilee, so your Decca may well be not the same as mine. Also cartridge loading can have an effect on the tracking ability of a Decca.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Also cartridge loading can have an effect on the tracking ability of a Decca.
    That's interesting Barry. Not something I'd considered, but I can understand various input loads having electrical 'braking' or damping effects on the armature.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    VTF IMO depends both on the Decca model and with the profile of stylus fitted. In my experience (so not necessarily definitive), with my Deccas used in an arm with light damping, I have found:

Decca Mk. III (elliptical stylus): 2.5g

Decca Mk. IV (SC4E): 1.75g

Decca Mk. V (Blue, spherical stylus): 3.0g

Decca Mk. VI (elliptical stylus): 1.5g

It sholuld be remembered that there was enormous sample-to-sample variation of Deccas (in quality and performance) up to the introduction of the Decca Jubilee, so your Decca may well be not the same as mine. Also cartridge loading can have an effect on the tracking ability of a Decca.
    Interesting Barry, I tracked my Blue at 2g and I did have a little bit of mistracking, however this was the recommended VTF John Wright suggested? My Blue has an original conical stylus so maybe I should try a 3g VTF.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Interesting Barry, I tracked my Blue at 2g and I did have a little bit of mistracking, however this was the recommended VTF John Wright suggested? My Blue has an original conical stylus so maybe I should try a 3g VTF.
    I've had several Decca London Blue's and they will mistrack if you are far short of the recommended 3 grams. I've found them a bit fussy about anti-skate settings too, worth experimenting with.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm brian.

Yeah, when j.w changed my gold to a line stylus the cartridge tracked much better ( at about 2g) At first I thought it sounded slightly on the thin side but once
    bedded in you could hear the extra detail and refinement. Well, around 500 hours later its still giving me much listening pleasure, though I better start saving for the next one !
    Glad things have worked out well for you Jamie, as they say before serving up a meal these days ( annoyingly ) Enjoy

I'm jamie.

I gave Jw a call this morning, his said it’s been calibrated for 1.8 grams.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Neil.

So pleased you had the balls to see it though and get a new stylus Jamie. Bet you're glad you didn't sell it now!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast