+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me appreciate The Doors

I'm Ian.

Back in 1968 I saw a documentary about the Doors on the BBC and was hooked, buying Strange Days a few days later. Taking the album into school it was suggested I was a bit of a weirdo, something I took as a compliment
    Alex, have you ever seen Apocalypse Now? "The End" so fits and the lyrics so make sense in this context. Then there's "When the Music's Over"

When the music's over
    When the music's over, yeah
    When the music's over, turn out the lights
    Turn out the lights, turn out the lights, yeah

..........and I like the scream of the butterfly

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Back in 1968 I saw a documentary about the Doors on the BBC and was hooked, buying Strange Days a few days later
    That's about the same time I discovered The Doors. (and about a year after I discovered Jefferson Airplane......White Rabbit blew my mind! )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

I think Absolutely Live is my fave Doors album. Double vinyl and the SQ is better than you'd expect.

Just a great vibe all the way through it. TIDAL has it. Check it out people. And give the singer some.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    The Doors are great. They had some duffers but generally the albums gel quite well.

I think you need to understand a couple of things to really appreciate them. Mostly, Jim Morrison himself and the amount of crazed drugs he did together with the turmoil in society back then in the States.

Pretentious maybe, but Jim was quite heavy on politics and very passionate about how the world was. He was a creative and with that it brings me to the other thing to embrace which is that the whole band wanted to create something new.

Something that wasn't Beatlesque or anything completely mainstream.

Like Jefferson airplane, to some their albums were hit n miss too but they were in the same boat as the doors.

Crown of creation is to some not good, yet I like it and just as good as surrealistic pillow.

It was all before my time yet I can see what they were trying/wanting to do.

Not much help I suppose and all this is my own opinion but I think the more commercial tracks like light my fire etc. Like many other bands of the same ear, they can tend to distract from the real meaning behind the band.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Interesting, I think I read somewhere that the Doors thought, while recording "Strange Days", that they were going to release something that would be bigger than anything the Beatles have ever done. This allegedly came from the 'leak' whereby someone gave them a copy of Sgt. Pepper's before it was originally released. Jim and the band were in awe of what they were hearing, and decided to top it with "Strange Days".

Heh. Did they succeed?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Interesting, I think I read somewhere that the Doors thought, while recording "Strange Days", that they were going to release something that would be bigger than anything the Beatles have ever done. This allegedly came from the 'leak' whereby someone gave them a copy of Sgt. Pepper's before it was originally released. Jim and the band were in awe of what they were hearing, and decided to top it with "Strange Days".

Heh. Did they succeed?
    No - but it was a hard act to follow.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

The Doors are great so I dont really understand anyone that is stuggling to get into them. Light my fire and riders are my least favourite but I cant think of any duffers that they have done.

Anything off the top of my head is superb really...... The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat), Crawling king snake, Hyacinth House, Roadhouse Blues, People Are Strange, LA woman...THE END which is a stunning piece of work........ The live recordings are amazing

I will take The Doors over both the Beatles and the Stones so less of the nonsense on here please

Jim Morrisons SEMINAL sixties outfit and I fail to see how they wouldn't move you.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 01-09-2017 at 21:50.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    The Doors are great so I dont really understand anyone that is stuggling to get into them. Light my fire and riders are my least favourite but I cant think of any duffers that they have done.

Anything off the top of my head is superb really...... The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat), Crawling king snake, Hyacinth House, Roadhouse Blues, People Are Strange, LA woman...THE END which is a stunning piece of work........ The live recordings are amazing

I will take The Doors over both the Beatles and the Stones so less of the nonsense on here please

Jim Morrisons SEMINAL sixties outfit and I fail to see how they wouldn't move you.
    Yeah, the Doors seem more popular with the 'other' crowd.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123