+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me appreciate The Doors

I'm Alex.

Default Help me appreciate The Doors

I've never been into The Doors, despite the fact that I always thought how "Light My Fire" and "Riders On The Storm" are good songs. But somehow no other song I've listened to by them could hold my attention.

Finally decided that it is time to re-evaluate my position regarding The Doors. After all, they are one of the most respected big acts in the history of rock. Such level of adoration must indicate that some real quality must be hidden in there.

So I did some reading on this band's opus, and decided to give it another try with their allegedly 'best' album -- "Strange Days". I got me an original pressing of that LP, and was very excited to hear what the fuss is all about.

Well, I'm sorry to say, but that LP left me totally unimpressed. I still feel that their shtick is mostly a pretentious, oh-so-dark-and-messed-up faux bohemian drivel.

Can anyone help me clarify this confusion? On one hand so many people are raving about this band as being one of the greatest ever, but on the other hand all I'm hearing is vacuous posturing and rather amateurish musicianship. Plus, Morrison's vocals are quite lame, boiling down to nothing more than high-school level theatrical histrionics.

So where's the epiphany, what am I missing here?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Who says Strange Days was their best? Give them a slap from me.

The two best are the first album, imaginatively entitled 'The Doors' on which every tune is a classic, and 'LA Woman', their last album.

Then maybe 'Strange Days', and 'Morrison Hotel', with 'The Soft Parade' bringing up the rear.

Partly though, and the same is true for any band I feel, the adoration is based on getting into them when young and impressionable, instead of trying to do it when older and jaded.

Textbook-wise, the combination of superb classically trained musicians set against Morrison's old style crooning and interesting lyrics isn't something you get anymore. Nowdays anyone who knows a few chords and can think up half a hook sells millions. We have punk to blame for that. The 'Anyone can have a go' philosophy. True, but to do something special you have to be properly good. The Doors were.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Who says Strange Days was their best? Give them a slap from me.

The two best are the first album, imaginatively entitled 'The Doors' on which every tune is a classic, and 'LA Woman', their last album.

Then maybe 'Strange Days', and 'Morrison Hotel', with 'The Soft Parade' bringing up the rear.

Partly though, and the same is true for any band I feel, the adoration is based on getting into them when young and impressionable, instead of trying to do it when older and jaded.

Textbook-wise, the combination of superb classically trained musicians set against Morrison's old style crooning and interesting lyrics isn't something you get anymore. Nowdays anyone who knows a few chords and can think up half a hook sells millions. We have punk to blame for that. The 'Anyone can have a go' philosophy. True, but to do something special you have to be properly good. The Doors were.
    Thanks for the clarification. So I'm not the only one who feels "Strange Days" sounds whacked and pretentious? Plus, I'm not hearing any stellar musicianship on there. The guitar is pretty amateurish, and the bass playing is your vanilla stock studio playing. The drums are unremarkable, it is only the keyboard that holds some interest, musically speaking.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Not sure about amateurish playing , but they did have to tone it down as these were pop records they were making; that did cause some unrest in the band IIRC.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So where's the epiphany, what am I missing here?
    I think the Doors, like many other groups, are best appreciated via an intelligent compilation rather than a whole album, as the individual albums contain a lot of 'filler'. So for the Doors, 'Weird Scenes Inside Goldmine' is all you really need. I bought that first back in the '70s, then picked up the individual albums one by one as bargain CDs during the '90s, but really if I'd stuck with just 'Weird Scenes ....' I wouldn't have missed out on much. Having said that, I was always more of a Stooges/VU fan than a Doors fan.

I'm Hugh.

Help me appreciate The Doors
    Tough call!

I'm Werner.

Alex,
    the bass playing is your vanilla stock studio playing
    I guess you are aware that Ray Manzarek, the keyboarder, played ”bass“ on most of their records? I fully agree with your opinion about The Doors. Even 40 years ago as a young man I thought most of their stuff was embarrassing and ridiculous. However, their last album ”LA woman“ has some fine moments.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 23-08-2017 at 05:56.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Shaun.

LOL, I am so with you on this one

I'm Grant.

Had a few decent songs but thats about all for me. Girls fancied Jim rotton though so that helped, as did the drugs in appreciation.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Philistines.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast