+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had any experience with Amarra?

I'm Keith.

Dimitri here is Jon Reichbachs email address, I suggest you email him and pose your questions directly, you might write to Rob at Pure Vinyl while you are at it.
    jon@sonicstudios.com
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Dimitri here is Jon Reichbachs email address, I suggest you email him and pose your questions directly, you might write to Rob at Pure Vinyl while you are at it.
    jon@sonicstudios.com
    Keith.
    I'm too shy for that, Keith.

I have no unanswered questions. Everything that is on their site explanations is clear to me.
    As I'm not interested in Sample Rate Conversion and the -inevitable- dithering that is involved (I leave that to my dac) I don't see how Amarra can do any better (if you remove this feature) than any other player.
    Now, if someone considers replacing dac upsampling by software upsampling, well, perhaps Amarra is the route to take.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Steve.

Dimitri.

I've followed the guide you pointed me to (thanks) and made all the suggested changes to iTunes, but there was one question that occured to me: As digital output is now set at 24/96 does this now mean that my Mac is upsampling all my existing lossless files?

If so, is this the best option? Or is it preferable for my Mac to output the digital at the music file's native sample rates?
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    Dimitri.

I've followed the guide you pointed me to (thanks) and made all the suggested changes to iTunes, but there was one question that occured to me: As digital output is now set at 24/96 does this now mean that my Mac is upsampling all my existing lossless files?

If so, is this the best option? Or is it preferable for my Mac to output the digital at the music file's native sample rates?
    If you use iTunes 7 or higher, then your setting is correct and your Mac is not upsampling anything (except if you use DSP and volume control).

If you use earlier versions, you need to set the exact sampling rate before you launch iTunes. EDIT: You can still stick to this way of doing things if you have very few 24/96 files and are afraid of a bug.
    Last edited by Themis; 03-02-2010 at 07:22.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    If you use iTunes 7 or higher, then your setting is correct and your Mac is not upsampling anything (except if you use DSP and volume control).

If you use earlier versions, you need to set the exact sampling rate before you launch iTunes. EDIT: You can still stick to this way of doing things if you have very few 24/96 files and are afraid of a bug.
    Cheers Dimitri.

No I've been very careful to disable volume controls, equaliser, preamp, soundcheck etc. and have the iTunes volume slider at max.

At the moment the only hi-res stuff I have is the one Jeff Buckley track and the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss album Raising Sand, which I found last night. AND OH MY GOD IT SOUNDS GREAT!!

The trouble is I'm now desparately trying to find more true hi-res music. Unfortunately I'm not into classical or jazz so my choices are seriously limited.
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm notAlone.

I tried to find too, but there are very few alternatives outside classical and jazz, as you say...

I buy some Scottish from Linn sometimes. But not all of them are high-rez. We'll have to wait a little, I guess.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'm ILOB.

Yes thats the major issue not enough rock and pop on high resolution
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes thats the major issue not enough rock and pop on high resolution
    For 'enough', I'd say that was nearer 'any'...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I think it's snobbery. Free (iTunes) can't be good, ergo, pay for Amarra. Some audiophiles won't take you seriously if you use itunes.
    I have to say Lee that I'm inclided to agree. Surely iTunes is just for hoodie-wearing iPod users? Not for use *serious* hi-fi geeks?

Last night I listened VERY carefully to a number of my stock test tracks, which are chosen for the a variety of things which help spot differences:

Extreme - More Than Words (cheesy but well recorded with great sense of the acoustics of the studio it was recorded in)

Tracy Chapman - Mountains Of Things (specifically for the percussion on this track)

Dire Straits - You And Your Friend (great sense of where the musicians are located)

And my conclusion having compaired these files via speakers and headphones, through VLC, iTunes and PLEX?

Couldn't pin down any specific differences whatsoever.

So unless these all handle digital in the same *wrong* way. it looks like my cash is safe from an Amarra purchase.
    Last edited by twelvebears; 04-02-2010 at 03:54.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm ILOB.

I think Keith uses it in his own system so if you live close to North London contact him he is one of the good guys
    For me it seems a lot of money and until there is enough HD media music i want to purchase not for me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast